Author Topic: Tutorial section  (Read 28705 times)

RetroPrime

• View Profile
Re: Tutorial section
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2017, 03:24:20 PM »
My 6128 launcher conf is located with all the other .conf files within the launchers.windows folder.
Also I tried changing the system name to 'snes' and the screen blinked for a split second then returned to RFE. This is the same thing that happens with master system. There is nothing in the log.txt to indicate an error of any kind.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2017, 05:29:36 PM »
My 6128 launcher conf is located with all the other .conf files within the launchers.windows folder.
Also I tried changing the system name to 'snes' and the screen blinked for a split second then returned to RFE. This is the same thing that happens with master system. There is nothing in the log.txt to indicate an error of any kind.
Just post it; I'll have a look.
Does it launch from the commandline? Do you have the required BIOS roms installed?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

RetroPrime

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2017, 06:07:22 PM »
I have the nss (nintendo super system) bios in the main mame/roms directory.
when running mame/snes from command line it loads up, but I don't actually know how to load a rom. So when exiting, I get the following:
m50458-001sp ROM NEEDS REDUMP
m50458_char.bin ROM NEEDS REDUMP
WARNING: the machine might not run correctly.

Also have the master system bios in the main mame/roms directory.
when running mame/sms from the command line, I get nothing but the following error:
mpr-12808.ic2 NOT FOUND (tried in sms sms)
FATALERROR: Required files are missing, the machine cannot be run.

log file attached.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2017, 08:42:04 PM »
I have the nss (nintendo super system) bios in the main mame/roms directory.
when running mame/snes from command line it loads up, but I don't actually know how to load a rom. So when exiting, I get the following:
m50458-001sp ROM NEEDS REDUMP
m50458_char.bin ROM NEEDS REDUMP
WARNING: the machine might not run correctly.

Also have the master system bios in the main mame/roms directory.
when running mame/sms from the command line, I get nothing but the following error:
mpr-12808.ic2 NOT FOUND (tried in sms sms)
FATALERROR: Required files are missing, the machine cannot be run.

log file attached.
6128 conf is still not loaded. If it's right there in your launchers.windows directory, then please send me a copy so I can try to figure out why it isn't loading.

The nss message is a simple warning from  the MAME team that the dump needs to be updated sometime. Why do you use nss to launch those games if I may ask?

For the sms, please check sms.zip if the mentioned file is actually there. Perhaps you need an updated romfile there?

RetroPrime

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2017, 08:50:07 PM »
I understood nss to be correct. Perhaps I've misinterpreted along the way.
I've attached the latest log, 6128.conf and sms/snes just in case you spot something.
Thanks in advance.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2017, 12:28:00 AM »
I've attached the latest log, 6128.conf and sms/snes just in case you spot something.
Thanks in advance.
Ok, but what am I looking at? What is/isn't working that shouldn't/should be working? Did you test this from the command line, and did MAME 0.162 that you seem to be using already have MESS included?

I'll have a look at why 6128 isn't being loaded though.

Thunderman

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2017, 06:59:36 PM »
ive done some tutorials in the tutorial section for fba and daphne give me little bit here ill setup snes and then make one for that for you to follow.

can you post your settings.conf from collections/Super Nintendo Entertainment System/   ?

Edit: WOW I cant get mame64 to run a super nintendo game to save my a$$ im going to make tutorial for retroarch instead.

almost there got it working just need to figure out the command to make it launch full screen and will be done

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 11:42:38 PM by Thunderman »

Thunderman

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2017, 05:43:24 AM »
ok finished tutorial for SNES its in the tutorial section.
http://retrofe.nl/SMF/index.php?topic=254.0

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2017, 07:58:57 AM »
Thanks in advance.

Ok, I admit that this is pretty pathetic, and something I need to have a closer look at, but apparently Windows filename case insensitivity doesn't transfer to all instances. Your file is using the .CONF extension, and RetroFE only checks for .conf. Simply renaming the file (may need to be done in 2 steps, since Windows is picky: rename to 6127.conf, and then to 6128.conf will do the trick) should allow RetroFE to load it. I'll see if I can fix that in a future release.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2017, 08:02:00 AM »
Your other launchers appear to work correctly; which ones aren't starting the game?
I'd advice to try launching them from the command line to make sure that you have all the required files available. My guess is that the BIOS files may not be in your MAME rom path, but if you can post the command line output I can have a closer look.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2017, 11:09:32 AM »
Thanks in advance.

Ok, I admit that this is pretty pathetic, and something I need to have a closer look at, but apparently Windows filename case insensitivity doesn't transfer to all instances. Your file is using the .CONF extension, and RetroFE only checks for .conf. Simply renaming the file (may need to be done in 2 steps, since Windows is picky: rename to 6127.conf, and then to 6128.conf will do the trick) should allow RetroFE to load it. I'll see if I can fix that in a future release.

I've got a fix for this bug in bit bucket; it should be included in release 0.8.14.

RetroPrime

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2017, 07:45:50 PM »
Thanks for suggestions with file renaming but the 6128 launcher is having none of it. The launchers that aren't working are the ones that I posted .conf files for: SMS, SNES and 6128. Even downloaded the missing rom for snes - still no joy.
I'll try to unpick these, figure them out for myself and see how it goes. Just thought it could save time if someone had working .conf launcher files they could share, but no worries.
Once cracked - I will post my findings, should anyone else find them useful for troubleshooting.
Thanks again folks.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2017, 08:11:04 PM »
I'm still quite convinced it's a ROM issue; your launcher files for sms and snes looked just fine (I'm not familiar with 6128 to be honest). Have you tried running the launch command (can be found in the log file) from your emulator's directory to see what the output is? MAME should tell you exactly what you're missing. Could you by chance post your mame.ini file (from the MAME directory) as well?

RetroPrime

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2017, 10:58:42 AM »
Hi again - through much fudging and fiddling I've now managed to get the cpc6128 collection to run in the desired way. Probably in the new year I'll post a little tutorial should anyone wish to take a look. You were correct about snes & sms being rom/bios issues. I had the incorrect versions. All working wonderfully now. Thanks to everyone for their contributions.
Have a great Christmas and Happy New Year!

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2017, 11:01:31 AM »
Same to you, and enjoy your setup. :)