Author Topic: Please help me with non working generic Xbox 360 usb controllers  (Read 15936 times)

shaolin95

• View Profile
Hello!
I have the huge full setup of RetroFE and sadly I just figured out there is no GUI for controllers :/
So I found a config file here;
http://www.retrofe.com/forum/index.php?topic=293.msg1557#msg1557

But after replacing the old one with this one, I still cannot control anything on the emulator.
Help please.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: Please help me with non working generic Xbox 360 usb controllers
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 06:20:18 PM »
Could you control RetroFE using the keyboard before you replaced the controls.conf file?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

shaolin95

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 10:32:29 PM »
Could you control RetroFE using the keyboard before you replaced the controls.conf file?

Yes I can move around the menu with the keyboard if I use the original controls.conf

Floyd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 07:29:49 AM »

Yes I can move around the menu with the keyboard if I use the original controls.conf

If your joystick is properly recognized in windows then Try a little program called joy2key which will translate your inputs into specific keyboard inputs. Just remap them according to the letters mapped in controls.conf and you should be good to go.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 09:19:59 AM by Floyd »

ryuuji

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 03:39:11 PM »
or use antimicro if your OS is not Windows

shaolin95

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 11:44:09 PM »
I am just going to try Launchbox now. It seems to have everything I needed already. Hopefully RetroFE will come up with an easy GUI for the controls. I am very familiar with computers (C64, Tandy coco is when I started) and even then the config thing is pretty annoying to figure out for something that should not be too hard to get a GUI for. I should have researched it more before I jumped in but I still can use the Emumovies account so no big deal. I do like how RetroFE looks so I will keep an eye on development.
Thanks

Floyd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 12:08:01 AM »
Well it's sad to hear that but I can understand that people sometimes just want things to work out of the box. I don't like launchbox for many reasons, but I have to give them credit for making thins simple for the average Joe. On the other side, RetroFe could really profit from a basic settings GUI, at least for the simple things like control remap.

Hope to see you back someday mate.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 07:09:17 AM »
Did you try using joy2key as was suggested? I presume Windows properly detects your controller, and it can be used in other programs?

I agree that a setup gui would be nice to have, but unfortunately other things have priority at the moment. Still, a working xbox-360 controls.conf should be easier to provide. Unfortunately I don't have one, so I cannot test it either.

Floyd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 09:13:45 AM »
Try this Pieter
http://www.x360ce.com/
It will make your generic usb gamepad appear as a xbox360 gamepad in the game or emulator. It might help you coming up with a proper config.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 10:05:32 AM »
I may give that a try as soon as I can find some spare time. :) I have a PS3 controller that I could use for that purpose. I'm just surprised that the config file from the old forums didn't work, hence my questions towards the OP. I also think that joy2key should have worked, so I'm a bit at a loss here.

Implementing a gui however is a bit more work than I have time for at the moment, though if anyone wants to have a shot at it: feel free. RetroFE is F/OSS after all. :) I'll happily test and integrate it.

Floyd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 11:07:28 AM »
You're doing an awesomenjob with RetroFe and the GUI would be a good thing but ironing out bugs is of course first on the list. Take your time, no hurry.
I've setup my controller to work just fine using the prpvided wiki manual (editing axes) althiugh it took me some trial and fail but got the job done. If the OP author didnt manage to get joy2key running then I dont think he has any PC gaming experience. Jo2key is extremly easy to setup.

Long story short.... Just continue to iron out bugs, new features will come along the road :)
I myself have no coding experience but I'm sure retrofe would profit from more devs.

shaolin95

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 05:06:07 AM »
I did a quick check of the joy2key app but I need to sit down and figure out how each entry will fit into the control scheme of RetroFE. If it was just like push this button for botton A, B etc, would be much easier of course.
I will be keeping an eye on the development of this app though. Just that my days are not long enough for all the things I do so I needed something that works right away to relax a little with some light gaming for myself and my wife and was not counting on having to figure out how to make controls work.

In any case, I appreciate your help guys..good to see a community behind it! :)

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 08:17:32 AM »
I can safely say that this hobby generally takes up a lot of time, no matter which front-end you choose. :) Aside from programming, a lot of my time has gone into getting art sets and matching game sets complete with a decent quality. That part should be getting easier in the not too distant future though, with people working on providing complete sets to the community. I'm still curious to find out why the controls.conf file from the old forums didn't work for you, since IMHO it should have.

JonahUK

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 01:19:36 PM »
I have to agree with Pieter on the time aspect, I started my cab last year and its still not how I want it (but that's just life getting in the way as well!)

If you want to get into this, you really do need to do a lot testing and trial and error as well as reading forums, wiki's etc.

Out of curiousity, are you trying a wired or wireless 360 pad?
I have an old wired one I can plug in to my Cab and see if I can get it working if that will help?

JonahUK

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 08:44:20 PM »
If it was just like push this button for botton A, B etc, would be much easier of course.

Try this config:

up = joy0Button0
down = joy0Button1
left = joy0Button2
right = joy0Button3
letterUp = joy0Button12
letterDown = joy0Button13
select = joy0Button10
back = joy0Button11
quit = joy0Button8

Not all buttons are mapped as my pad is a bit dodgy, lol.

dpad used for direction
a = select/enter a menu
b = cancel/back
x = letter up
y = letter down

Used this app http://www.generalarcade.com/gamepadtool/ and then figured it out from there.

Let us know if that works for you.

EDIT:
This was done on my PC and not my Cab. Both use Win 10 Home x64.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:54:26 PM by JonahUK »