Author Topic: Scroll Accelleration Delay Setting  (Read 2351 times)

artman999999

• View Profile
Scroll Accelleration Delay Setting
« on: June 05, 2018, 06:13:16 PM »
What determines the delay that occurs before a menu begins to auto-scroll?  I'm not referring to scrollTime or scrollAcceleration, which are completely different.  I'm asking about what determines the time between when a scroll key is held down and when scrollAcceleration begins.

I use a joystick to select the games on my cab, and I often find myself advancing 2 games ahead because acceleration kicks in too quickly.  The sticks are digital U360s, so I even set the mapping to activate the direction only when it reaches the very edges of the map.  But still, if I pause just a hair too long, acceleration begins and I scroll 1 game past the actual game I wanted.

I realize it's impossible to please everyone with this, and anyone using a keyboard probably couldn't be happier with the setting as it stands now.  Is there a way I can set it, or is that delay hard-coded in the system?

If it can't be changed, I'll just increase the scrollTime a bit to accommodate my slow reaction times...  :D   

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: Scroll Accelleration Delay Setting
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 07:25:05 PM »
Actually, you are referring to scrollTime and scrollAcceleration. RetroFE basically checks for next/previous game input whenever the menu is done scrolling the previous game. That animation initially takes scrollTime, so exactly scrollTime after you press next/previous game for the first time it should be done with the animation and check if the key is still pressed. Each time afterwards, that time is reduced by scrollAcceleration down to a minimum of that same scrollAcceleration (that's something I've been meaning to expand on, and make it a separate configurable). As such, if you want to prevent scrolling two games by pressing only once, you have to release the button quicker or increase scrollTime in the theme you're using.

artman999999

• View Profile
Re: Scroll Accelleration Delay Setting
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 09:04:21 PM »
Makes sense.  Thanks for providing clarity on the acceleration setting - I wasn't sure exactly how it calc'd it in.

BTW - Really liking this front end.  Not sure if it just doesn't use a lot of resources or what, but my cab is running SO much smoother than it did with another FE (and RetroFE supports HD).  Great work!