Author Topic: Help to go back to RetroFE  (Read 6228 times)

johnsaints

• View Profile
Help to go back to RetroFE
« on: January 28, 2017, 08:16:45 PM »
Hi guys.

Anyone have a tip to, when i exit the emulator, go back to Retro FE, with joystick ? Can I do this with help from a program?

Every time I want to change games, I have to do this with the mouse and keyboard. I would like to do this with the joystick.

Thanks.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: Help to go back to RetroFE
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 08:22:43 PM »
I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking how to exit your emulator using a joystick or how to control RetroFE using a joystick?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

johnsaints

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 09:55:24 PM »
Yep, exit the game/emulator with joystick, and go back to RetroFE. Like these arcade machines with front-ends. Or Steam Big Picture. I just want to be able to choose another game without keyboard/mouse. It's possible ?

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 10:36:04 PM »
That's totally up to the emulator. RetroFE has no influence over that. MAME can certainly do it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

johnsaints

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 10:49:38 PM »
Ok. Never used MAME, i'll search. Thanks for the answer  :D.

PinealServo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 11:07:43 PM »
There are a few ways you might set this up; I can't guarantee any or all of them will work for you though:

1. Assuming all your emulators can be configured to read from the gamepad and assign an "exit program" command to a gamepad event, configure them all to do so.

2. Use an emulator framework like RetroArch; this unifies the input/output so you only have to set up the gamepad configuration once.

3. Use a program for your OS like JoyToKey, which can generate keyboard/mouse events from configurable gamepad events. You'll still have to do some extra config in your emulators, but you'll have keyboard events to work with instead of just gamepad events.

johnsaints

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 09:56:36 PM »
Thank you, i'll try  ;D.

I'm testing Rocketlauncher. Retroarch seems not to work with some of my emulators.

Floyd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 08:52:41 PM »
Thank you, i'll try  ;D.

I'm testing Rocketlauncher. Retroarch seems not to work with some of my emulators.

I might be late to the party with this reply but in order to exit MAME and return to retroFE with your keyboard you have to assign the button in MAME. Here is how you do it:

Open a game in MAME, and then press TAB -> Input General -> User Interface then scroll down to "UI Cancel" and assing your gamepad/joystick button (defaults is ESC). Pressing the newly assigned button on your gamepad should exit MAME and return to retroFE.
Hope it helps.