Author Topic: One new problem, one old problem, and one request  (Read 2735 times)

procyon

• View Profile
One new problem, one old problem, and one request
« on: February 01, 2020, 05:38:58 AM »
OK, so I just modified my Arcade1up cab, with a PC running Lubuntu 19.10, and I threw a 20" Dell monitor in there, resolution 1600x1200.  Naturally, I'm using RetroFE as my front end, and I've got that auto-starting.  Let's start with the easy bit:

1) Since the monitor is 1600 x 1200, naturally my display is 4:3.  But all the RetroFE intro movies appear to be 16:9, which makes the planet in the background look squished.  Is there a 4:3 version of that movie anywhere?

2) New problem: I'm using the RAW theme, but I tinkered with it a bit.  Not to the extent that I believe I could have introduced this problem, but perhaps I did.  I'm missing logos for a lot of console games, typically Japanese titles.  When I start the front-end, the font that stands in for the logos appears fine,  However, if I go play a game and then come back to the front-end, the text in the wheel disappears.  I can still select it, and see the title of the game at the bottom of the screen, but the wheel text won't return until I exit all the way out of the front-end and come back in.  Any obvious thought here?

3) Old problem: Since I pulled from bitbucket, I'm on the latest version, and I'm back to that sorting problem I mentioned a while back.  Here's an example of what I'm talking about.  My classic arcade sub looks like this:
1978:
invaders
1979:
asteroid
galaxian
invadpt2
spacefev
1980:
astdelux
berzerk
centiped
defender
(And yeah, I know the years are non-functional, they're just for me, I like them.)  In its settings.conf, I have list.menuSort = no.  However,  when RetroFE displays this list, it shows up as:
1978:
1979:
1980:
astdelux
asteroid
berzerk
centiped
defender
galaxian
invaders
invadpt2
spacefev
Like I said, in one of the older 0.8 releases, it would show up in the order I had listed, as opposed to sorting it like it does today.  I would love it if I could have that list in its original unsorted order.

Thanks for all your help and hard work Pieter.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 07:59:01 PM by procyon »

procyon

• View Profile
Re: One new problem, one old problem, and one request
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 07:54:44 PM »
OK, I fixed the old issue by making the following code change.  In the method RetroFE::getCollection, there was this code:

Code: [Select]
    collection->sortItems( );

bool menuSort = true;
    config_.getProperty( "collections." + collectionName + ".list.menuSort", menuSort );

I changed it to:

bool menuSort = true;
    config_.getProperty( "collections." + collectionName + ".list.menuSort", menuSort );

𝒊𝒇 (menuSort)
    {
        collection->sortItems( );
    }

and that got it to behave the way I wanted it to.  Still trying to figure out the disappearing wheel text problem...

EDIT: Oddly enough, if I typed "if" in the second code block, this SMF refused to let me save my post.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 08:05:32 PM by procyon »

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 10:09:44 PM »
1) No, I'm afraid this video was created for me; I never received a 4:3 version. You could alter the splash.xml to only display the center part of the video though by making it 1600x1200, and displaying the edges outside the actual screen.
2) I've heard of this issue too, but I couldn't reproduce it on my own setup. I'll grab the theme you mentioned, and see if I can reproduce and fix it. It sounds to me like the font isn't properly reloaded. It only seems to happen when SDL is reloaded (so closed when the game starts, and restarted afterwards). If you're running a window manager you could simply turn that feature off in settings.conf.
3) Good to hear you've fixed it; I'll see if I can include your fix in the next release.

procyon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 05:15:10 PM »
1) No, I'm afraid this video was created for me; I never received a 4:3 version. You could alter the splash.xml to only display the center part of the video though by making it 1600x1200, and displaying the edges outside the actual screen.
OK, cool, I'll give that a shot.

Quote from: Pieter Hulshoff
2) I've heard of this issue too, but I couldn't reproduce it on my own setup. I'll grab the theme you mentioned, and see if I can reproduce and fix it. It sounds to me like the font isn't properly reloaded. It only seems to happen when SDL is reloaded (so closed when the game starts, and restarted afterwards). If you're running a window manager you could simply turn that feature off in settings.conf.
Yes, it's definitely SDL related, this is only occurring on my linux box, not on my Windows box using the same theme.

Quote from: Pieter Hulshoff
3) Good to hear you've fixed it; I'll see if I can include your fix in the next release.
Awesome.  I know there are a couple of different sorts taking place (individual subcollections versus the final accumulated playlist, etc.) but this seemed to be the smallest code change I could make to get the desired behavior.  Thanks again!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 05:18:17 PM by procyon »

procyon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 02:38:40 AM »

I got it to work very nicely with the following:

<layout width="1600" height="1200" font="Roboto-Bold.ttf" loadFontSize="32" fontColor="dedede">
   <video src="video/intro.mp4" numLoops="0" x="0" xOffset="-160" y="0" yOffset="60" height="1080" width="1920" alpha="1"/>   
</layout>

which gives it a slightly letter boxed look, but I don't mind.  The planet looks like a planet again and not an egg :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 02:40:41 AM by procyon »

procyon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 04:50:00 AM »
It only seems to happen when SDL is reloaded (so closed when the game starts, and restarted afterwards). If you're running a window manager you could simply turn that feature off in settings.conf.

I hadn't paid close enough attention to this until tonight.  I turned this setting off, and the problem is indeed gone, thank you so much!

I discovered another very minor bug: I can't seem to use LetterUp or LetterDown in purely subcollection lists.  So for example, in NeoGeo or CPS2 list which sub off of Arcade, I can't jump through the list alphabetically.  I can PageUp and PageDown just fine, so it's not that big a deal.  Just thought I'd mention it.