Author Topic: Issues with UnloadSDL  (Read 2506 times)

Foxhole

• View Profile
Issues with UnloadSDL
« on: December 24, 2019, 05:29:06 PM »
Hi. I'm using RetroFE On windows 7, and i'm using it with mame and portaudio.
The thing is, in order for portaudio to work with RetroFE i have to use UnloadSDL.
The problem is that after starting a game and exiting all of the games name disappear. This happens on most layout that uses text for the game names,
games that have artwork are not affected.
I've included two pictures, a before and after.
Any ideas on how to fix this?
If i disable UnloadSDL there is no problem with the names but then portaudio doesn't work correctly.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: Issues with UnloadSDL
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 08:32:40 PM »
It's a bug I'm afraid; I haven't been able to solve it yet. I generally make sure I have artwork for all games to prevent this from happening.
How many systems do you currently have installed? I have an almost complete MAME arcade set on MEGA that people can use.

Foxhole

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 08:44:46 PM »
I'm glad to report i was able to find a workaround.
I added
   <reloadableText type="description">
   </reloadableText>
just before the end of the layout file and that seems to fix it. I'm using the animatic theme, not sure if that would work with other themes.
About UnloadSDL, Is it possible to use it per collection or is it just a global option only?
I tried adding it to a specific collection but it doesn't seem like it works.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 08:49:34 PM »
It's a global setting only; it was originally intended to be used on platforms that need it (like the Pi3). This is the first I've heard of someone wanting to use it on a collection basis.

The bug is that the font isn't reloaded upon returning from the menu, which is fine when unloadSDL isn't set, but prevents text from being displayed if it is. Good to hear you've found a work-around; I'll see if I can fix the issue within the code sometime soon.

Foxhole

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 08:55:51 PM »
It's a global setting only; it was originally intended to be used on platforms that need it (like the Pi3). This is the first I've heard of someone wanting to use it on a collection basis.
I'm using it only for mame since that's the only case i need it for, that's why i was thinking setting mame with a animatic theme and other systems with different themes without having to worry about the font bug.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 08:59:11 PM »
It may help to grab my MAME art set from MEGA or the EmuMovies FTP then; it'll reduce the amount of games without art severely.

Foxhole

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 09:28:20 PM »
Thank you for the offer, i do have most artwork.
I was just trying to check all the themes, and themes like Pandora box show the name of the game as text and not logos.
Unfortunately, the workaround that works for animatic doesn't work on Pandora theme, i don't understand why though.