Author Topic: Dumb question about the new 9.0 release...  (Read 2266 times)

xiaoxiao181

• View Profile
Dumb question about the new 9.0 release...
« on: August 28, 2019, 03:49:45 PM »
If I install it over my current setup, is it gonna reset everything to default? I've put 3 months of work into building an arcade machine and I kinda don't wanna lose any of it lol

Especially the meta lists. Those were 2 months of work on their own and I've only done 3 consoles so far.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: Dumb question about the new 9.0 release...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 08:24:56 PM »
I'd say extract it separately,  make a copy of retrofe.exe, your core directory, and your layout directory, and only copy those 3 from the new release.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

xiaoxiao181

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 05:25:27 PM »
That's good to know, though I'll leave out the layout if I can. I modified the Aeon layout to remove the cropped video and cropped console images in the backgrounds. I then replaced the cropped video with a small image of the game media like cartridges and cds

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 06:27:50 AM »
Ok, but there have been a few changes in that area. The theme will work, but you may need to do a few small tweaks in the animation department. You can always use the new one as an example here.

xiaoxiao181

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 04:04:19 PM »
As it turns out, there's no need to use the new one. Copying the core folder alone, which does include the program exe, seems to work just fine on its own. So far from the testing I've been doing, there seems to be zero issues with using the modified layout on the new core.

I would however respectfully suggest a change in the next update to make things a bit more dynamic. This is my first update of this program and I can already tell that if I want the newest features, I'll have to re-edit and rewrite the layouts for each update. If I'm being entirely honest, this may lead to some users with custom layouts to simply not update at all.

One of the biggest modifications I have made were to various icons such as player numbers, genre, and ratings. Most of them have been deleted and the rest were resized and renamed to reduce space and save sanity. There was a lot of confusion in there lol

You can see some of the things I've done in this Zip to show just how much has been altered that I'd prefer not having to redo each update.

EDIT: I realize that the icons for those are in a different folder, but the new layout update does not display them, and seeing as I have little to no knowledge of xml, what files have been altered took me a very long time to do and were done with pure guesswork. You can see the icons in the other zip.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 04:07:16 PM by xiaoxiao181 »