Author Topic: Pi3 image  (Read 63675 times)

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Pi3 image
« on: May 28, 2017, 08:34:18 AM »
I've just received a Pi3 yesterday, and hope to create a nice SD-Card image for it using RetroFE. I'd like some input on what kind of features people would like to see in such a setup. Any thoughts?

marxkemp

• View Profile
Re: Pi3 image
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 08:53:36 AM »
I've just received a Pi3 yesterday, and hope to create a nice SD-Card image for it using RetroFE. I'd like some input on what kind of features people would like to see in such a setup. Any thoughts?
Have a look at the hyperpie images or motionblue for example. They combine retropie with attractmode. I would love a retropie setup with RetroFE.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 10:59:40 AM »
Looks like we could really use that setup tool. 😀

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ryuuji

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 06:55:13 PM »
Looking forward to it
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 07:05:06 PM by ryuuji »

ger

• View Profile
Pi3 image
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 10:53:36 PM »
Hai there,
Also looking foward to iT;-)

A software / hardware shutdown would be nice.
A gpio control for joy and buttons ( maybe a soft Power off and on)
A hotkey combi for enter retroFE?

Greets,

Ger

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 10:37:39 AM »
A software / hardware shutdown would be nice.
A gpio control for joy and buttons ( maybe a soft Power off and on)
A hotkey combi for enter retroFE?

Software shutdown is easy; I already have that in my Linux setup. :)

GPIO is on the to-do list for sure; I've received some buttons and an arcade joystick to see if I can use the GPIO as keyboard encoder.

What do you mean with a hotkey combi? The idea is to boot directly to RetroFE so it can be used in an arcade/console setup.

ger

• View Profile
Pi3 image
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 05:48:28 PM »
What I mean is, if you want to change a setting in a NON RetroFE setting(like mame or a other emulator). You Can switch between them. In retropie is this not possible if you make it attractmode. And that is not user friendly.

Greets,
Ger.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 08:17:54 PM »
What I mean is, if you want to change a setting in a NON RetroFE setting(like mame or a other emulator). You Can switch between them. In retropie is this not possible if you make it attractmode. And that is not user friendly.

Easiest would probably be to make the quit key go back to the desktop, while the shutdown option turns off the system.

dougan78

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 02:00:37 PM »
I can help with testing the image once you get that far

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 12:22:36 PM »
Neither ld-mame2003 nor mame 0.185 are very fast on my Pi3 at the moment (pacman topping at 50% without frame skip at 1200 MHz). I think I'll have a look at Retropie to see if it's a matter of having the right configuration settings...

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 07:50:54 AM »
Apparently you're not supposed to run them under x... Time to give Retropie a whirl.

MisterB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 01:43:24 PM »
If you are giving RetroPie a try, I have been developing an experimental RetroPie module for installing RetroFE.  My goal is configure it to use the standard RetroPie filesystem layout, config settings, and use of the runcommand.sh script for launching.  It should be a full replacement or complementary install to EmulationStation.  I'd be happy to share it later this weekend if you would like to try it out.

My only challenge is that I don't have access to my RPi3 right now, so I am developing against the x86/Ubuntu/X11 flavor of RetroPie.  There could be some minor differences that I can't test yet.  However, if you could just confirm the exact list of package dependencies for installing RetroFE on RetroPie, that should be enough to get things up and running.  I know that the package list used in the compilation instructions isn't correct - several SDL libraries need an extra "-0" tacked on the end for the x86 version, and I believe change are needed for the Pi too.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2017, 02:12:30 PM »
I'm not there yet, but I'd love a copy of your work to test. I only just received a pi3, so I'm still learning.

progets

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 07:19:32 AM »
I have been using RetroFE on a Pi for about a year. It once worked pretty well and was able to use the RetroPie "runcommand" which is ideal. Over the past year there have been changes making it harder and harder to work with my RetroPie build. First, the "runcommand" option for the launcher.confs seemed to break so I went to my own command line launching of the emulators in the launcher.confs. Second, the RetroArch GL video driver stopped working properly so I need to reference separate retroarch.cfg files in RetroFe to use the SDL2 video drivers. Third, on the latest build I can't seem to get the emulators to launch with focus, they are always behind RetroFE regardless of the "fullscreen" or "fullscreen windowed" options in RetroArch.

I hope to see you getting something running well on the Pi and I'm willing to help. Lately, I have opted for another FE on my Pi since it's very stable and works great on the cheap hardware.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 07:28:22 AM by progets »

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2017, 07:50:28 AM »
Are these changes in RetroFE or changes in the Retropie image that caused these problems?