Author Topic: Game Manual  (Read 5654 times)

bodbod

• View Profile
    • Don't be a sheep, Do It Yourself !
Game Manual
« on: May 14, 2017, 01:22:00 AM »
Hi,

Just a quick suggestion in regards to the game level interface:

Would that be possible to have the game manual option to read as well, source format would be .pdf so not sure whether this can be embedded/read within the interface...

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: Game Manual
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 07:15:05 AM »
I'm not sure if it makes sense building that into RetroFE to be honest. You get the most use out of gaming manuals during the game, and RetroFE has no control at that time. I should check out how other programs do that.

bodbod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 02:51:24 PM »
I get your point but when you have an arcade cabinet you normally don't want to take your keyboard etc, I believe this is a personal choice.

I looked around and here are one examples of discussion on other front end :

https://cloud.tapatalk.com/topic/108523-rocketlauncher/4081-pause-menu-has-no-options

I saw another one last night but i can t find it anymore, the pdf image was integrated and was looking pretty good.

Agent47

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 03:06:18 PM »
You could use the Pause feature in RocketLauncher (the link you posted) to have manuals show. It doesn't require pulling out your keyboard, you would just need a button or button combo on your cab mapped to the Pause function in RL. 

bodbod

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 03:56:51 PM »
Ah nice, ok one more advantage to have this one installed then, I have only have Mame and RetroArch installed yet.
Doesn't RocketLauncher layer using more resources rather than having only one front end and an emulator behind ?

dustind900

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 08:19:06 PM »
Ah nice, ok one more advantage to have this one installed then, I have only have Mame and RetroArch installed yet.
Doesn't RocketLauncher layer using more resources rather than having only one front end and an emulator behind ?

RocketLauncher is very lightweight so adding it to your system won't affect performance. It's been a while since I've set up a system with RL, but I do think it requires it's own media so you will essentially have two copies of all your artwork.  I could be wrong though, like I said it's been a while and RL is always in active development.