Author Topic: RetroBox 4:3  (Read 15860 times)

billyc666

• View Profile
Re: RetroBox 4:3
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 02:10:04 PM »
shouldn't it go under collections\SNES\medium_artwork\fanart\default.png

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2018, 09:08:54 PM »
I just checked; the functionality is not yet implemented for menus. I will correct that as soon as I finish with the configuration menu features.

Sequence

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2018, 06:41:07 AM »
Thanks guys. One more thing. If it would be possible to "menu up" items like numberPlayers, that would be awesome. Closer & closer I get to my theme. Take all the time you need. We all got jobs and lives  :)

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2018, 07:14:25 AM »
Thanks guys. One more thing. If it would be possible to "menu up" items like numberPlayers, that would be awesome.

I’m not sure what you mean. Can you elaborate?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sequence

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2018, 02:29:14 PM »
Well as far as menus go, you can't make menus of all reloadable things. You can't make a menu for year, manuf, numberPlayer, genre, etc. You can for items like the title, even the reloadable images like artwork_front and logos. Not so much for things like a menu of just fanarts. Of course it gets loaded for the the single item on screen but to have a menu that shows all on-screen items including the players for each game is a no go. A menu to show a default image for all on-screen items is a no go. You can only reload the single item in the menu.

Good example, look at the snes mini game menu. Underneath each game there is an image for the numberPlayers underneath each box. This I cannot do.

billyc666

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2018, 03:03:08 PM »
ah i see what you mean now, i just tested to see if i could get it working, no luck.
an alternative would be to batch the images with the name of the rom, maybe a bit time consuming as you would need a complete list of players for all your roms, you could then add to an unused artwork folder and add it as a menu item rather than a re-loadable image.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2018, 04:05:31 PM »
Sounds like I have some work to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

billyc666

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2018, 04:55:52 PM »
wish i could help you, sounds like there's lot's of features to add and just your expertise at the helm.
i have been reading the code to try and see how layout xml interacts with the code on the menu items but i cant seem to see what im looking for. :-\

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2018, 06:02:40 PM »
wish i could help you, sounds like there's lot's of features to add and just your expertise at the helm.
i have been reading the code to try and see how layout xml interacts with the code on the menu items but i cant seem to see what im looking for. :-\

That's actually a very good way to learn how to program; read other people's code that interests you, and try to understand what it does, and why it does it. :)
You can find the handling of the layout xml code in the PageBuilder.cpp file; within that file it will create components for each of the tags in the xml file. The working of these components can be found in the different component subclasses, like reloadableMedia.cpp, reloadableText.cpp, etc.

billyc666

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2018, 08:56:37 PM »
Thank you, well at least i was looking in the right file to start with.
i don't mean to hijack this thread but  what sequence is asking is it the same basically as im looking into regarding grid but slightly different as it calls another function

example

DataGridViewImageCell: Used to display pictures. Here is an example:
DataGridViewCell ^ celShowPicture = gcnew DataGridViewImageCell;
DataGridViewLinkCell: Used to display linked labels. Here is an example:
DataGridViewCell ^ celEmailAddress = gcnew DataGridViewLinkCell;

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2018, 09:10:28 PM »
Thank you, well at least i was looking in the right file to start with.
i don't mean to hijack this thread but  what sequence is asking is it the same basically as im looking into regarding grid but slightly different as it calls another function

example

DataGridViewImageCell: Used to display pictures. Here is an example:
DataGridViewCell ^ celShowPicture = gcnew DataGridViewImageCell;
DataGridViewLinkCell: Used to display linked labels. Here is an example:
DataGridViewCell ^ celEmailAddress = gcnew DataGridViewLinkCell;

Grids are currently not supported by RetroFE; menu tags are translated into ScrollingList objects. At the moment, at least one menu tag needs to be available in the layouts. I've considered grids as well, but haven't decided yet on how they should be implemented or even how they should work for that matter. There's many different ways to build a grid of games, but which one to choose?

billyc666

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2018, 09:26:59 PM »
ideally the grid needs to be resizable so you can choose the actual container size and how may items can be displayed within the grid, plus each item within the grid would need it's own height & width

example views

A B C D
E F G H
I J K L
M N O P

or

A B C D E F
G H I J K L

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2018, 10:53:37 PM »
Sure, but others may want one row to hold all games with letter A, the next with games with letter B, etc.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2018, 11:08:11 AM »

billyc666

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2018, 03:19:50 PM »
I never even thought of that scenario. sounds a good one too. ill try the new version when i get time later.