Author Topic: RetroBox 4:3  (Read 15924 times)

NeoID

• View Profile
RetroBox 4:3
« on: February 06, 2017, 08:53:00 PM »
Hi guys,

Before switching to the new domain I was working on a new theme for RetroFE called RetroBox.
The theme also features a script that "compiles" menu items containing artwork, genre, players and year. See code for valid arguments, I haven't organized the code just yet, but it works.
Unfortunately none of the artwork, media or stories are included for now, but I'm working on a complete setup. :)

About the theme and concept: https://idmedia.no/projects/retrobox/creating-new-theme-retrofe/

Screenshots

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ8E9ZXN3fE
I post some videos now and then, so please subscribe if you want to stay up to date of this or other projects. :)

Thanks
A huge thank you to Pieter Hulshoff for taking over the RetroFE project and keeping it alive!
Another thank you to JonahUK for the initial ideas for the script (using Photoshop).

Download
Download here
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 08:55:49 PM by NeoID »

Floyd

• View Profile
Re: RetroBox 4:3
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 12:40:44 PM »
Looks nice, thanks for sharing :)

JonahUK

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 12:58:36 PM »
Another thank you to JonahUK for the initial ideas for the script (using Photoshop).

Glad you sorted it and the theme is looking nice!

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 01:50:12 PM »
Looking good indeed. Still sorting how to support this menu structure directly in RetroFE rather than having to create specific images.

ryuuji

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 02:33:14 PM »
Nice one  :)
Takk!

NeoID

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 03:47:31 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. While I'm quite happy with the game selection screen, the console view is a bit "confusing" when using it with a lot of systems. I currently have 175 systems on mine and I quickly struggle to find the right console. I think of adding another layer so the user first has to select the year (e.g. 1980-1985,1985-1990,...), but I'm not sure if that's the best solution either.

I've also thought about adding a graphical timeline on top of the console view so you can see "where you are" in relation to the other consoles... Another (awesome) solution would be a grid/wall layout, but that's something that unfortunately isn't supported yet *looks at Pieter Hulshoff with huge Bambi eyes*

I appreciate any ideas here. :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 03:50:37 PM by NeoID »

Sequence

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 12:18:31 PM »
Just had to say I liked this theme a lot when I first saw it. The fact that an image was needed for each menu item with the box & title & and genre made me not want to travel this road. I can say now that this is possible without custom images. After what I've just seen, I know fantastic things are possible if coded correctly. In other words, I could make this theme with no extras necessary as it would natively use the box and info as a single image. Im recreating igarikoitz aura theme and....wow.

Big thanks to him & Peter.

NeoID

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 12:49:54 PM »
Just had to say I liked this theme a lot when I first saw it. The fact that an image was needed for each menu item with the box & title & and genre made me not want to travel this road. I can say now that this is possible without custom images. After what I've just seen, I know fantastic things are possible if coded correctly. In other words, I could make this theme with no extras necessary as it would natively use the box and info as a single image. Im recreating igarikoitz aura theme and....wow.

Big thanks to him & Peter.

I know.. it's not perfect, but it automatically generates those images for you... :)

Sequence

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 03:41:41 PM »
Oh, take no offense. I loved your theme. Just wanted to say retrofe can perform this theme natively & should be added to the front page to showcase its abilities.

Sequence

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 09:26:10 AM »
O.K. Having said that...I'm only missing the tiles underneath the artwork. I can't display much more than titles and boxes natively as menus. What would work is to batch the exact same tile image for each game & have them named accordingly.

So the question is... how would one call a background image for each game? Not asking for the singular background like fanart but rather use the same background image displayed underneath all logos. Hopefully this can be done without batch. If not, I'm just gonna batch 1000's of the same image.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 11:30:22 AM »
I think you could create a new menu with an unused image type, and just use default.png for all games. Would that work for you?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

latreides

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 02:05:07 PM »
I like the design of this theme, but how does it look for taller/narrower boxes?  (Ex: PS2, Wii, PSP, With the extreme being Sega Saturn?)

Sequence

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 12:34:45 AM »
Just found out about the default. I'll see what I can do to make it work. Appreciate it!! I'll get back with my results.

Sequence

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 11:18:22 AM »
The "default.png" doesn't appear to be working for me. The image I am trying to use does appear when it's titled the same as a listed game but "default.png" does not populate the other games. What I belive should work is (imageType="screentitle" mode="layout") with the location of (RetroFE\layouts\layoutname\collections\Super Nintendo Entertainment System\medium_artwork\screentitle\default.png). This does not function with or without another image.

No mode used:
      collections/SNES/medium_artwork/logo/1942.png
      collections/SNES/medium_artwork/logo/default.png
  Mode layout:
      layouts/<layout name>/collections/SNES/medium_artwork/logo/1942.png
      layouts/<layout name>/collections/SNES/medium_artwork/logo/default.png                  *Here is what does not work for me. Logo obviously works as I have the logos, but an unused imageType with default.png in it's directory :(
  Mode system:
      collections/SNES/system_artwork/logo.png
  Mode systemlayout:
      layouts/<layout name>/collections/SNES/system_artwork/logo.png
  Mode common (not very useful for type logo):
      collections/_common/medium_artwork/logo/1942.png
      collections/_common/medium_artwork/logo/default.png
  Mode commonlayout (not very useful for type logo):
      layouts/<layout name>/collections/_common/medium_artwork/logo/1942.png
      layouts/<layout name>/collections/_common/medium_artwork/logo/default.png    

*If you could test and confirm how this is done that would be awesome.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 01:53:05 PM »
I'll have a look; I haven't used this feature with menus yet.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk