Author Topic: ePSXe issue  (Read 8244 times)

johnsaints

• View Profile
ePSXe issue
« on: January 22, 2017, 04:03:25 AM »
Hello guys.

I'm trying to use ePSXe (PS1 emulator) with RetroFE but the game does not run. When i click the button, the emulator pop up, but the game does not start. Any tips ?

Path of Roms - Ok.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: ePSXe issue
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 08:05:47 AM »
I'm using PCSX myself, but I had a quick look at ePSXe. From what I read here, you're missing the -loadbin option before the rom call in your arguments.

KMetalMind

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 10:43:17 AM »
Do you have a ".cue" file with that ".iso"? Most games from that generation in PlayStation and Saturn used CD audio, so many games need the cue file to play properly. If you have one, try using it instead of the iso.

Some other games could give problems in ePSXe if not properly mounted... I hate having to mount the isos (currently the only emulator that needs it on my build is ePSXe), but you could try it to see to test if the game is ok.

Some games doesn´t run on the current ePSXe version too, so you may need to take a look at version 1.6.0, which is said to be most compatible...

Sadly the consoles from that era (Saturn, PlayStation and Nintendo 64) usually have complex emulators which fail easily depending on the configuration, game, plugins, etc... If you are not into upscaling the resolution take a look at mednafen, games will work perfectly, but at the original resolution (that´s why I still use ePSXe)...

johnsaints

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 05:29:01 PM »
I'm using PCSX myself, but I had a quick look at ePSXe. From what I read here, you're missing the -loadbin option before the rom call in your arguments.

Thank you Mr. Pieter, but didn't work =/. PCSX has graphic options ? I'll try that.

Do you have a ".cue" file with that ".iso"? Most games from that generation in PlayStation and Saturn used CD audio, so many games need the cue file to play properly. If you have one, try using it instead of the iso.

Some other games could give problems in ePSXe if not properly mounted... I hate having to mount the isos (currently the only emulator that needs it on my build is ePSXe), but you could try it to see to test if the game is ok.

Some games doesn´t run on the current ePSXe version too, so you may need to take a look at version 1.6.0, which is said to be most compatible...

Sadly the consoles from that era (Saturn, PlayStation and Nintendo 64) usually have complex emulators which fail easily depending on the configuration, game, plugins, etc... If you are not into upscaling the resolution take a look at mednafen, games will work perfectly, but at the original resolution (that´s why I still use ePSXe)...

Yep, i have two files, iso and cue. Both work if i open them with the emulator, but not in RetroFE.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 05:55:47 PM »
I just did a quick manual check; I have no experience with ePSXe. RetroFE can execute any command line call to your emulator, but unless you know the specific command it is hard to define the RetroFE launcher conf.

Feel free to show me your latest log.txt though.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 05:57:38 PM by Pieter Hulshoff »

ryuuji

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 06:58:18 PM »
try to add
Code: [Select]
-nogui -loadbin
or
-slowboot
or
-nogui -slowboot -analog -loadbin
to the command line

JonahUK

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 07:02:56 PM »
I don't use ePSXe myself but just tested and this what worked for me:

Launcher:
executable = Z:\emulators\ePSXe205\ePSXe.exe
arguments = -loadbin "%ITEM_FILEPATH%" -nogui

Filetype set as bin in settings.conf.

Emulator starts and loads the rom fine although it won't start fullscreen for me though (even though it is set in the plugin)?

Relevant parts of log:
[2017-01-22 19:01:25] [INFO] [CollectionInfoBuilder] Checking for "Z:\retrofe\collections\Sony PlayStation\include.txt"
[2017-01-22 19:01:25] [INFO] [CollectionInfoBuilder] Scanning directory "Z:\retrofe\..\roms\Sony PlayStation"
[2017-01-22 19:01:26] [INFO] [Menu] Found: "Z:\retrofe\collections\Sony PlayStation\menu.txt"
[2017-01-22 19:01:26] [INFO] [Launcher] Checking to see if "Z:\retrofe\..\roms\Sony PlayStation\Crash Bandicoot (Europe) (EDC).bin" exists  [Yes]
[2017-01-22 19:01:26] [INFO] [Launcher] Attempting to launch: "Z:\emulators\ePSXe205\ePSXe.exe" -loadbin "Z:\retrofe\..\roms\Sony PlayStation\Crash Bandicoot (Europe) (EDC).bin" -nogui
[2017-01-22 19:01:26] [INFO] [Launcher]      from within folder: Z:\emulators\ePSXe205
[2017-01-22 19:01:35] [INFO] [Launcher] Completed
[2017-01-22 19:01:37] [DEBUG] [Page] Allocating graphics memory
[2017-01-22 19:01:37] [DEBUG] [Page] Allocate graphics memory complete
[2017-01-22 19:01:38] [INFO] [SDL] DeInitializing
[2017-01-22 19:01:38] [INFO] [RetroFE] Exiting
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 07:04:42 PM by JonahUK »

Agent47

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 07:53:33 PM »
As mentioned above you do not want to load the bin files, you should load the cue sheets instead. Try this:

arguments = -nogui -loadiso "%ITEM_FILEPATH%"

with the filetype set to cue

johnsaints

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 10:14:40 PM »
Worked guys !! Thanks. I think the "-nogui" command line helped. "-slowboot" does not show the bios, but i try to solve it later.

psibash

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 02:34:20 PM »
Anyone using RetroArch for PS emulation? All my PS game images are zipped and include a .CUE file with several "track" .BIN files...not sure if that will work with any launcher. If so it would be nice if you shared your launcher command line. I could also use tips on how to convert my game images to proper ISOs if i need to do so.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 03:03:43 PM by psibash »

JonahUK

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 09:53:53 PM »
Anyone using RetroArch for PS emulation? All my PS game images are zipped and include a .CUE file with several "track" .BIN files...not sure if that will work with any launcher. If so it would be nice if you shared your launcher command line. I could also use tips on how to convert my game images to proper ISOs if i need to do so.

I use RA (an outdated version at the mo) for PSX but I have started converting all my files to .pbp rather than zip/iso/bin/cue etc.
Also, with pbp, its just one file for multi-disc games as well (although I haven't personally tested these yet).
There are a few tuts out there, just look for psx2psp etc :)

They load fine using RA's mednafen core:
executable = z:\emulators\retroarch 1.3.4\retroarch.exe
arguments = "%ITEM_FILEPATH%" -L "z:\emulators\retroarch 1.3.4\cores\mednafen_psx_hw_libretro.dll"
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 10:14:39 PM by JonahUK »