Author Topic: RetroFE development  (Read 123460 times)

bundangdon

• View Profile
Re: New features
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2017, 08:41:14 AM »
Try again?
I've included a new executable. Hopefully this one will work better for everyone. :)

Please, back up your retrofe.exe before using this one. It's WIP and not fully tested yet.

This version contains playlist support and hierarchical rom directory support. Check the bit bucket commits for details.

Hate to bring this issue up again, but I've noticed that with this latest version, the wheel lag problem is back again :o I even tried a fresh install and noticed that there is a very noticeable lag in the wheel, but when I revert back to the previous version, there's no lag. Just wanted to bring this to your attention  :D

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2017, 10:06:20 AM »
Can you define what you notice as lag? I've implemented it such now that the menu scroll animation does not get chopped by art loading, but realise that if you are too slow in pressing next that the loading will slow things down. It should properly react to multiple quick presses too now: 5x next = 5 game scroll.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

bundangdon

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2017, 01:34:58 PM »
Can you define what you notice as lag? I've implemented it such now that the menu scroll animation does not get chopped by art loading, but realise that if you are too slow in pressing next that the loading will slow things down. It should properly react to multiple quick presses too now: 5x next = 5 game scroll.

I had mentioned this on the original website forums a while back. At that time, the issue was related to the Aeon Nox theme, but this time it seems to be happening with other themes I've tried too.
http://www.retrofe.com/forum/index.php?topic=393.msg2549#msg2549
and here http://www.retrofe.com/forum/index.php?topic=376.msg2540#msg2540
In other words, you click to scroll left or right and have to wait 1-2 seconds before the wheel progresses. However, it's not a biggie since I can stick with the official version for now until things get sorted out in the future :) Just wanted to bring it to your attention
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 01:37:02 PM by bundangdon »

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2017, 02:02:32 PM »
Still, that is odd, since I see no such issues myself. What do you use to control the menu, and does this happen on a single click or multiple clicks or ..?

bundangdon

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2017, 02:04:27 PM »
Using the keyboard arrow/direction keys for now, scrolling from left to right, up and down, just standard 'one click' stuff

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2017, 02:10:52 PM »
Ok, so using your keyboard you click once, and then have to wait for 1-2 seconds for something to happen or does it scroll immediately, and it takes 1-2 seconds for the entire animation (menu scroll, fade-out, art loading, fade-in) to complete or it takes 1-2 seconds before you can click again or ...? :) Just trying to understand what the exact issue is. I can fix almost anything as long as I can understand and reproduce it. :)

Multiplexer

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2017, 07:38:40 PM »

I have found now that it too sensitive. It is great for scrolling through games but if you accidentally press the select button twice on the system menu RetroFE will open that system and automatically play the first game on the list. Also if you press the back button twice or hold for too long it will go back the sytem menu then exit RetroFE. This seems more pronounced for some reason when using the DS4 controller where anything more than a light tap on the button will result in a double tap if you get what I mean?

ryuuji

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2017, 07:47:05 PM »
It sounds just normal to me ... retrofe registers that you pressed 2 times and it will result into playing a game/exiting retrofe. For example: if you are in systems menu and pres SELECT 2 times => 1st go in the game list => 2nd play the first game that will show up.
And if you hold it pressed will have the same reaction because when you will reach the next menu retrofe will automatically read the input.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2017, 08:42:08 PM »
True, though if people prefer that I clear the input buffer when entering/exiting a collection, I can certainly change that.

Also: you can disable exiting RetroFE with the back key.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 08:52:01 PM by Pieter Hulshoff »

Multiplexer

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2017, 09:22:10 PM »
It is doing exactly what it is supposed to. It is only really a problem when using the DS4 controller, it nearly always registers double presses unless you give the buttons the lightest of taps.
It isn't really an issue when exiting as it can be disabled but entering sub-menus cannot. I would prefer the input buffer be cleared but that may just be me. Other than that the latest exe seems to work spot on. Fast and smooth!

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2017, 09:54:19 PM »
I feel a global setting coming... 😉

Multiplexer

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2017, 10:15:23 PM »
That would be great!  :)

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2017, 10:09:16 AM »
truRIP support and the collectionInputClear parameter have been added to bit bucket. Version has been updated to 0.7.20b2; I'll try to make a new Windows executable this evening.
I also have auto generation of meta.db working under Linux, but it may need a bit more testing to make sure it works in all situations.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:11:04 AM by Pieter Hulshoff »

bundangdon

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2017, 10:34:21 AM »
Ok, so using your keyboard you click once, and then have to wait for 1-2 seconds for something to happen or does it scroll immediately, and it takes 1-2 seconds for the entire animation (menu scroll, fade-out, art loading, fade-in) to complete or it takes 1-2 seconds before you can click again or ...? :) Just trying to understand what the exact issue is. I can fix almost anything as long as I can understand and reproduce it. :)

Yep, the first one you mentioned (keyboard you click once, and then have to wait for 1-2 seconds for something to happen). For example, I want to scroll to the left (or right) to choose the next system, but even though I clicked, it doesn't move to the next system until 1-2 seconds later, hence the "lag"

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2017, 11:19:07 AM »

Yep, the first one you mentioned (keyboard you click once, and then have to wait for 1-2 seconds for something to happen). For example, I want to scroll to the left (or right) to choose the next system, but even though I clicked, it doesn't move to the next system until 1-2 seconds later, hence the "lag"

Ok, that IS very odd. I would expect the menu to start scrolling immediately. If that's not the case for you, then I don't have a clue what might be causing that to be honest. This happens with the default theme (Aeon Nox) distributed with RetroFE or did you change any values?