Author Topic: RetroFE development  (Read 122700 times)

KMetalMind

• View Profile
Re: RetroFE development
« Reply #165 on: February 18, 2018, 06:53:14 AM »
My mistake, I had the font file on the main directory and not on the core one  :-[ Mixed both words.

My opinion: The controls configuration works perfectly and I don't know if I would personally evolve it much right now. Maybe you could assign a key in retroFE for triggering this config?

Minor improvements that could be done, all subjective:
  • Add the rest of the file while creating it, as it helps too (keys help and deadzone setting)
  • Maybe show the same text you are showing while configuring keys in multiple lines. Example: On the first line "Press the Up direction". And on the second line "It is mandatory for retroFE". Having many lines on the same one is less legible.
  • Put all the mandatory keys on the beginning, and the rest after them. I feel it's usually easier to setup directions, enter menu, previous menu, exit, etc than assigning first keys for pages, random, letters, favorites...

Haven't tested the aspect ratio one, just that it works on 16:9 right now. Can somebody with a cabinet test it properly?

Edited after remembering that you can indeed configure multiple keys right now  :-[
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 08:02:46 AM by KMetalMind »

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2018, 08:30:54 AM »
I've given it some more thought, and it's quite possible that I'll replace the whole thing with a menu anyway. I'm currently in the process of thinking out exactly how I want that to be integrated into RetroFE, and it should be able to support much more than just key configuration. I'll use the existing layout features to handle it in stead of writing a separate one like I did for this feature. That way people can even integrate a cool menu structure within their theme if they want (and otherwise it will use the default).

I'm not sure I understand your remark regarding multiple key support though; I thought the current feature already supported that. It allows you to set multiple keys for each UI control.

KMetalMind

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2018, 09:09:16 AM »
Yeah, it supports it, I just wasn't paying enough attention  :-[

A menu feature using the layout system would be literally perfect! I would love it  ;D It would be nice too if the options in the menu could be configurable too (reorder options, change option names, don´t use some options, etc). That would let people remove options they don't want to use, translate it, etc. It would need some kind of new txt config in the main path though, and it would be a little harder to program, but it would be totally configurable then  :)

billyc666

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 01, 2018, 10:33:03 PM »
i thought i would try this version by putting it in the core folder, however when i run it it only goes as far as splash screen then quits
log file lists an error at the end

[2018-04-01 22:27:10] [ERROR] [Input] Missing property controls.menu
[2018-04-01 22:27:10] [ERROR] [RetroFE] Could not initialize user controls

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
RetroFE development
« Reply #169 on: April 01, 2018, 10:50:43 PM »
Hmmm, I may need to add the menu files for people to run this version. I’ll upload those tomorrow. Sorry about that.

Sequence

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 01, 2018, 11:07:43 PM »
Yes, I received the same errors. Won't boot past the splash for me either.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #171 on: April 01, 2018, 11:28:08 PM »
Yes, I received the same errors. Won't boot past the splash for me either.

I’m in the middle of implementing a configuration menu, so it currently expects a key for menu in the controls.conf file. Since I’m also testing my work, I already have that key configured in there. You could add it, but since you’re lacking the menu files I’m not sure what happens if you press the button then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BritneysPAIRS

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 01, 2018, 11:31:14 PM »
:) I wanted to test this also...looks like ill have to wait

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #173 on: April 02, 2018, 11:07:31 AM »
Here's 0.8.15b3. This should fix the issue regarding the missing menu button. As said: I'm in the middle of implementing the configuration menu structure when these requests for bug fixes came in. Guess that'll teach me to start working in branches again. :) Let me know if you encounter any other issues.

billyc666

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 02, 2018, 04:25:59 PM »
working fine now, is the menu already accessible?

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #175 on: April 02, 2018, 05:46:45 PM »
working fine now, is the menu already accessible?
No, it requires an extra set of files to use. I have some WIP, but it's very preliminary.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #176 on: April 08, 2018, 08:56:09 AM »
Here's 8.15.b4. I've changed the lack of SDL audio from ERROR to WARNING; hopefully this will allow Windows 10 users without an audio setup to still run RetroFE (in silence).
Menu activity is still WIP, so not usable.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #177 on: April 18, 2018, 09:02:16 PM »
'Here's 0.15.b5. I've changed the splash interruption to only react to an actual press of the select key rather than any SDL key event. This should prevent analog inputs from stopping the splash video.

BritneysPAIRS

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 20, 2018, 12:06:57 PM »
Cool just noticed this ill grab this tommorrow

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #179 on: June 20, 2018, 09:57:22 PM »
My apologies for my silence lately. I've been very busy with my new job, but have recently started adding some features again. I'm in the process of finishing up with those, and adding support for the latest truRIP (super)dat files, after which I hope to do a full release again. Since there are some improvements in the animations department, I also plan to update the Aeon Nox theme accordingly.

As some of you may have seen: CoinOPS is working on some new releases for PC, and they've selected RetroFE to use as a base for their work. From what I've seen so far, it should be possible to extract a theme from their work as well that people can load on top of their current RetroFE installation.