Author Topic: A question about "layering" menus in RetroFE  (Read 638 times)

Kilroy5150

• View Profile
A question about "layering" menus in RetroFE
« on: June 24, 2022, 12:21:02 AM »
This is about collections and sub-collections. And i do apologize but i don't understand the structure of the sub-collection.

Let's say i've got "Aracde" and i want "Laser Disc" as a sub so I add Laser Disc.sub but i was wanting a sub-menu saying "Laser Disc" not just a pile of arcade games.

I'm, obviously, doing this wrong i just missed how to make it go main menu (arcade), press the button then sub-menu "Laser Disc", ect, ect, ect (select and press) and then the game list.

How do i structure this, in RetroFe, to see the menu logos and such in that way?

Again, i apologize if this has been explained a million times i just couldn't find the exact conversation. It's like trying to find a specific ant in and ant-hill when searching.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 06:25:56 PM by Kilroy5150 »

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: A question about "layering" menus in RetroFE
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 07:14:47 PM »

Kilroy5150

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 10:18:28 PM »
Did you read the manual already?
http://www.retrofe.nl/wiki/doku.php?id=collections

Yes, i did (as best i could). I have a problem understanding certain things and sometimes need a "laymans" explanation of how the work before it sinks in. I tried doing it the way the manual said but it didn't work out so i'm here, asking if someone can relate to me a way of doing it without excess coding? I was hoping, like in CoinOps, it could be done via laying certain files to a directory structure but that didn't take so i'm probably missing something small.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 10:16:59 PM »
CoinOPS is built on RetroFE, so there's no functionality in there that isn't in RetroFE.

RetroFE basically has 3 ways of adding items to a collection menu:
1. Rom files in the designated roms directory.
2. .sub files to include items from another collection.
3. menu.txt or menu directory.

Rom files are always endpoints; when you select them, the corresponding launcher will be launched so the game can be played.
Sub collections are generally sets of rom files from another collection, so they function like rom files.
Menu files are always other collections that you can enter from the menu you're building.

So, if you want a sub menu Laser Disc, just add Laser Disc to your menu.txt file, or add Laser Disc.txt to your menu subdirectory inside your collection.

Hope that helps.

Kilroy5150

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 01:58:13 AM »
I guess what you guys are saying is it can't do what i want. I want a main menu with a sub menu then files understand. I have CoinOps (all of it) and it doesn't do what i'm asking for.

Okay, i guess i can live with that.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 05:28:51 PM »
No, that's incorrect. You can easily do what you want; the default theme in RetroFE even does that.
What you need is a menu.txt file in your Main collection, containing the names of the collections you want to show there.
CoinOPS also does that in some of its releases, like NEXT and NEXT2.