Author Topic: RetroFE / Coinops Next2 / MAME (which is failing)  (Read 2102 times)

DaveViking

• View Profile
RetroFE / Coinops Next2 / MAME (which is failing)
« on: March 19, 2022, 01:46:30 PM »
I built my Arcade Machine last year using CoinOps Next2 and apart from a few teething issues I was so impressed. It worked all summer without many hitches. This year I dusted the PC back down (same PC no disk errors, no memory faults or any other windows log errors) but it just keeps closing down @ random after trying to Launch Arcade games (some seem to crash more often than others). The PC only has 4G RAM which seems low but this is what I had last year.

Its Windows 10 also (again no change other than service packs.... could that be it) ?

The thing is I am not sure what is failing, the coinops folder has a log.txt but there is not much in there, MAME runs ok on its own and retrofe loads on its own, it does not crash but it does not load the games (perhaps a paths thing set by Coinops normally).

The question is does RetroFE have any additional logs I can check ?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: RetroFE / Coinops Next2 / MAME (which is failing)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 03:25:55 PM »
Just post your log.txt; I'll have a look.

DaveViking

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 05:16:12 AM »
Thanks Pieter, I will grab that for you soon (I am an early starter but the rest of the house are not) :)

I spent all of yesterday on this (mostly waiting for backups before I started getting stuck into trying to replace MAME etc), nothing worked other than going backwards with my build BUT I had a bit of a lightbulb moment, I said nothing changed, well I did paint the cabinet and to do that I had to take all the buttons out and they did not go back in the same order so I re-configured them in MAME this could be as simple as a button allocate issue !!!! I tried the keyboard and it did not close it (mind you that has been quite inconsistent) so I plan to have another go today.

I did check the select button was not mapped in more than one place and even removed all buttons from the close entry in the CoinOps Controller Config.

I aim to get the answer today whatever happens.

DaveViking

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 08:01:33 AM »
I have been throuhh the MAME controls and can't find anything else that is mapped to the select button that closes games, nothing in the controls.conf either. I cleared the log and re-created the crash from a fresh start.

Here is my log.txt file

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 11:36:30 AM »
I'm a tad confused. You said it would close at random after launching arcade games, but I don't see you actually launching any games in this log file.
I do see RetroFE exiting normally after about 5 seconds; did you press any of the "Q,Escape,joyButton10" (as configured in controls.conf) buttons to do so? If not, might it be that the wiring is a bit wonky, and might be sending any of these signals to the computer?

CoinOPS does also contain a joy2key setup that might be causing this issue. Try running the RetroFE link instead to see if that's the case.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 11:38:31 AM by Pieter Hulshoff »

DaveViking

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 02:32:11 PM »
I know I am also confused but you got me on the right line ! so I was sure it was something to do with the select button being configured to something else but could not find it, I have now swapped round a couple of buttons and re-assigned in MAME and the controls config file and all is well. It did seem random but as a programmer I know there is no such thing (which was why originally I was thinking memory and chasing my tale for days before coming here). I seemed to have issues getting a decent forum for CoinOps and I know this was not really a RetroFe issue but thank you anyway and hopefully my experience might help someone else. Also I found another post about my repeating menu selections which you answered for someone else so you helped me nail another long standing issue, you sir are a Ledgend.

Thanks