Author Topic: RetroFE Crash After 10.7 calling ucrtbase.ddl  (Read 8378 times)

RfsVieira

• View Profile
RetroFE Crash After 10.7 calling ucrtbase.ddl
« on: March 07, 2022, 10:10:51 PM »
Hello, i´m being testing retrofe version after big update, Gstremer and SDL, as you know it crash, i know you cant replic it because you using linux and for what i googlit is an win10 issue / problably, as googling found another teorie  of buffering (STATUS_STACK_BUFFER_OVERRUN)
making tests discover that problem is in gstcoreelements.dll and gstreamer-1.0-0.dll as they are connected (the call for ucrtbase.dll comes from them)
if you take version 1.20 gstcoreelements.dll and overwrite in retrofe(core folder), it will not have video and will not crash ever, so i think maybe there´s some problem in video code!!?
As this one man dev, im trying help all comunity.
Here  i add prints screens of what i get, hope it can help, if i can make another tests please fell free ask, i will try, i started retrofe.exe with vs 2019.
gstream v 1.18.3 has an issue for win32, that has been correct on version 1.18.4, and they released this year Fev2022 versio 1.18.6.
i  think this guys here ignore ucrtbase.ddl to open if prog call (https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/522946b7-cb39-43b3-868d-ae9bde1a458b/application-crash-ucrtbasedll?forum=winforms) (don' t know if is compatible/possible for you add it)
But all my teories can be wrong and its there  a simple way for you solution it :D.
im new in it, im not programmer so, cant help to much :(
will love know more of code for this not be one man work.
Have a nice day, and thanks for all

« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 10:13:50 PM by RfsVieira »

JonahUK

• View Profile
Re: RetroFE Crash After 10.7 calling ucrtbase.ddl
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 08:49:01 AM »
Tested the latest version on github, still crashing.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 08:04:20 AM »
I know. I'm working on getting rid of all the memory leaks first, because those indicate improper handling of memory. These crashes are probably caused by access of an already deleted piece of memory (that's usually the only reason a program crashes rather than locks up), so cleaning up memory usage is a first step. There appear to be some issues with the animation memory, so it's quite possible that some themes are crashing due to the animations on their videos. That would explain why some themes are affected while others are not. It's also possible these issues reside in the new Windows gstreamer or SDL libraries; that would explain why they happen under Windows, but not on Linux. Perhaps it's just a gstreamer plugin that's causing the problems; I'm slowly sorting out the mess, but it takes time. I already spent over 40 hours debugging this over the past few weeks.

RfsVieira

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 01:42:47 PM »
thanks for answer, and been working on it, if you need any test just say, if i can i test and try. i found another issue i will add new topic, as you are answer me i will cont. try helping all community

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2022, 03:28:54 PM »
Looking at your trace, it does appear to be a crash WITHIN the gstreamer library. I've tried upgrading the entire package to 1.20, but that didn't seem to have any impact. I'm not quite sure how to get this fixed though; the old library also had issues with memory leaks after all. I'll give this some more thought.

RfsVieira

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2022, 04:14:27 PM »
Hi, for what I tested is video issues, buffer don't know, our animation as you say, gstreamer has multivideo(code) , don't ibiw if that will help for matrix animation videos as the layout I'm testing.
Why I think is video/animation as u say issues? Because what I reported before, if I overwrite version 1.20 gstcorelements.dll. As it isn't compatible with 1.18 it will not charge the videos will do all anination crating matrix but all black and will never crash.
I'm not a programmer, I program in past but stopped about 13yrs so I'm rush, I understand +- wen see, but don't know how to..
And have some problems as it doesn't have //legend I lose many hours try understand what the files code do 😅
Thanks for help and answer
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 04:16:05 PM by RfsVieira »

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2022, 06:40:22 PM »
How are you debugging this btw? It's not like I don't have a Windows setup, but I'm not familiar with debugging under Windows.

RfsVieira

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2022, 06:47:25 PM »
I have many problems trying debug it bcs it only creates retrofe.exe I start the retrofe with vs 2019. If I create retrofe.exe debug  file that I can create it will not open bcs isn't directly connected to the build. As you do all in Linux, for windows visual studio doesn't have full build structure only the exe release file. Probably is possible create vs 2019 full strocture pack but I don't know how. I understand tht you alredy have all core created for windows and the commun files strocture. . And it doesn't copy all files creating the build from gstreamer directory,. I tested copying the dlls from the lib ex gstream,1.18.6 and 1.20 and bug crash still there. I think is 187 dlls files. For gstreamer
Resuming as the full retrofe root isn't in the pack the source creates only retrofe.exe. I have to run retrofe.exe from the pack. After phyton script copy all files creating the build.
Sorry I have a litle problems with English 😞, for what I read this windows ucrtbase.dll is a response from windows probably isn't the real issues
If was possible all build be
 created from source will be great because will can do the debug before release.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 07:20:58 PM by RfsVieira »

RfsVieira

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2022, 11:56:03 PM »
Hello updating with 5 prints, maybe wen this class are calling are in conflit with code?!
seems some are calling in64... it juld be x86/w32?!
willl add another error print off h264 encounder faling

RfsVieira

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2022, 11:57:11 PM »
Cont.. off  the prints, dont know if it will help, hope so.
All im posting canbe wrong, but is what i get from VS 2019.
Thanks
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 01:17:00 AM by RfsVieira »

RfsVieira

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2022, 09:31:16 PM »
memory crash print

RfsVieira

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2022, 01:32:12 AM »
I think i manage the debug on windows, see if this help you, now im getting directly supposedly error from source... i think... as im creating debug file inside vs 2019
do you know whts the line to create debug file with the pdb file?

this is for normal release------   cmake --build RetroFE/Build --config Release

i think is one for debug, im asking it bcs with  VS 2019 i have always an skipped file, although if i created the release i have tht skipped file to and the release file is same size the one i   created with the line above.
Tks

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2022, 09:21:42 AM »
OK, so so far we have several crashes within the gstreamer library itself, which apparently is an issue under Windows, but not under Linux. Very odd indeed.
We've also got a null point issue in the code; I'll give that a closer look as well. Apparently it managed to create a list without a selected item somehow; perhaps an issue with an empty list?

RfsVieira

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2022, 02:56:31 PM »
Hi,
That test it has only 2 sys and 1 game per sys. But can be a false error as I hade to trick to get it started with the source. 😩
Running out of vs 2019 it enter in the sys and scroll until crash as alredy reporter issue, running from VS 2019 it crash wen try enter sys, start retrofe, show systems, on try enter one of them crash. And gives tht last print

Can you downgrade gstreamer to test if is sld2 issue?
Our is possible add that 1st link of code to retrofe. Cpp our gstreamer vídeo. Cpp to on call ucrlbase. Dll ignore tht call? It will not be a solution but will not crash retrofe I think... At least until you find how to solutions it..
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 05:29:09 PM by RfsVieira »

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2022, 06:33:06 PM »
I'd have to spend some time setting up a separate virtual machine to compile it that way. Gstreamer doesn't seem to be willing to have two versions installed on the system, and so I have to break down my current installation in order to compile it using the old gstreamer version (if I can remember which version I used back then). What doesn't help is that when I compiled this I was still on bitbucket; my old repository doesn't exist anymore.