Author Topic: Latin characters in font  (Read 2104 times)

johnnydement

• View Profile
Latin characters in font
« on: March 03, 2022, 09:24:36 PM »
Hi,

I'm attempting to do a localized frontend in my language for my kids, but none of the tilde characters appear (à, é, í,...)

How could I fix that?

Thanks!

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: Latin characters in font
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 09:25:50 PM »
I'm afraid that cannot be fixed unless I manage to figure out how to support UTF-8 within the code. It's still on my todo list, but that list is longer than I have spare time. If anyone else wants to have a look: be my guest.

johnnydement

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 09:36:57 PM »
I'm afraid that cannot be fixed unless I manage to figure out how to support UTF-8 within the code. It's still on my to-do list, but that list is longer than I have spare time. If anyone else wants to have a look: be my guest.

Agh!
I love how fast retrofe is, but language is still a big handicap for my kids  :-\

If there's any way non coders can help, let me know! Just saw this issue is coming from quite a far, maybe someone may have a clue over Stack Overflow or similar?

Thanks for all your efforts anyway!

Agent47

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 07:00:48 AM »
If there's any way non coders can help, let me know!

There's not.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 09:52:00 AM »
It's a rather big code change I'm afraid. Not only does it require me to replace the name variables from strings to something that supports UTF-8, but it also requires me to change the entire text printing code, which currently only supports default ASCII characters. I'll get to it sooner or later, I'm sure, but it's not on top of my priority list at the moment. RetroFE was made F/OSS exactly so others could help code, but so far it appears to be a one man job (two if you count the original programmer Emb).

johnnydement

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2022, 11:54:16 AM »
It's a rather big code change I'm afraid. Not only does it require me to replace the name variables from strings to something that supports UTF-8, but it also requires me to change the entire text printing code, which currently only supports default ASCII characters. I'll get to it sooner or later, I'm sure, but it's not on top of my priority list at the moment. RetroFE was made F/OSS exactly so others could help code, but so far it appears to be a one man job (two if you count the original programmer Emb).

It's a real shame…

It astonishes me seeing how many derived products, or products based on retrofe are out there, and how many of them make business of it, the poor help I see for the original creators… you can find daily dozens of messages on coinops and similar discord servers, but no one comes around here  :(

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2022, 07:38:49 PM »
That's fine. I convinced Emb to make RetroFE F/OSS so people can build on top of it, and so we can all benefit from their work. Other than abide by the GPL they have no obligations towards me. People can use RetroFE as they see fit.

Oroborus77

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2024, 02:50:55 PM »
Hello! Any news or improvement on UTF8 support ? could be a really awesome feature for non english-speaking people.

In all case thanks a lot for this wonderful front-end.