Author Topic: RetroFE video issues  (Read 4206 times)

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
RetroFE video issues
« on: February 18, 2022, 04:58:00 PM »
It's been brought to my attention on numerous occasions that the current RetroFE code base has an issue with video display under Windows, causing unexpected crashes of the program. I would like to try and debug the issue further, but I'll need to some people willing to run tests for me. As such, I have two questions:
1. Who of those experiencing these crashes would be willing to run tests on my attempts to fix the problem?
2. Who has experience using gstreamer in C/C++ programs, and could give me a hand in sorting out these issues?
I will start by switching to the latest gstreamer release to see if that helps, and take it from there. Considering that the issue does not happen under Linux (as far as I know), my guess is either issues in the Windows gstreamer library or in the Visual Studio libraries, and most likely the former.

SeanChadee

• View Profile
Re: RetroFE video issues
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 05:38:55 PM »
i am willing to help test it

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 06:39:44 PM »

Do you have a test set that consistently crashes so you can check whether any changes I make reduce or solve the issue?

Jays Arcade

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 08:14:17 PM »
The only time I experience crashing is when I set the number of monitors to 1 in the configs. I haven't tried running MKV and MP4 mixed yet, but I saw someone report that as an issue. I could certainly test the number of monitors issue for you if that is something you are looking into. I do not have C++ or Gstreamer experience but I can try to help otherwise if you need help.

SeanChadee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 11:19:02 PM »

Do you have a test set that consistently crashes so you can check whether any changes I make reduce or solve the issue?

Yes

xboxiso

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2022, 02:53:52 AM »
I am willing to help test as well.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2022, 08:08:37 AM »
I understand BP may have more information on what's causing the issue; I will contact him to find out what he knows to see if that helps me locate the cause. Avoiding the issue in the layout is not a real solution to the problem as far as I'm concerned.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 03:14:42 PM »
Who can send me a small setup that consistently fails for them so I can run some local tests as well?

I'm working on a solution for the gstreamer memory leak at the moment, and sent a small test program with results to the gstreamer mailing list. Hopefully they'll have some answers for me.

xboxiso

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2022, 10:57:29 PM »
Hi Phulshof. I can put a small build together, but I'm not sure if that will help as I have only run into this issue with large builds that include a lot of systems. As I was building my retrofe build, the crashes didn't start happening until I had added a lot of different systems. Let me know if you would still like me to do this and I will, just not sure if a small build will crash or not.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2022, 06:53:35 PM »
Hi Phulshof. I can put a small build together, but I'm not sure if that will help as I have only run into this issue with large builds that include a lot of systems. As I was building my retrofe build, the crashes didn't start happening until I had added a lot of different systems. Let me know if you would still like me to do this and I will, just not sure if a small build will crash or not.

Thank you for the offer, but I don't think that's very useful. I need something that crashes consistently in order to determine if any fixes I make have an effect. I already saw that an update of the gstreamer library to 1.18.5 reduces the memory leak issue substantially, so I'll give 1.20.0 a chance soon.

xboxiso

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2022, 10:36:09 PM »
Cool. I'm available to test when you are ready

SeanChadee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2022, 12:45:54 PM »

Thank you for the offer, but I don't think that's very useful. I need something that crashes consistently in order to determine if any fixes I make have an effect. I already saw that an update of the gstreamer library to 1.18.5 reduces the memory leak issue substantially, so I'll give 1.20.0 a chance soon.

Willing to help test as well

jonny555

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2022, 11:58:18 PM »
This isn't a retrofe code problem its avi video problem,
There will be a bad video in your big video build.
I've added 100+ systems since using rfe and never had a crash from a video all mp4 and all under 100mb.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 12:08:08 AM by jonny555 »

JonahUK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2022, 11:03:24 AM »
This isn't a retrofe code problem its avi video problem,
There will be a bad video in your big video build.
I've added 100+ systems since using rfe and never had a crash from a video all mp4 and all under 100mb.

I've never used avi in any build and had crashes with the newer libraries (1.18.3) yet under the old libraries (1.4) no such crashes occur.

RfsVieira

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2022, 03:11:46 PM »
hello, i can try help testing as i dont in gstreamer , but in my googling i found it has multi video option and memory options to, dont know if is need add that options to retrofe code.
Found a theorie to. Tht crash with videos up 30fps.
But it crash faster with the layout I send to you in pm.
Only happen gstreamer after 1.4, because they add ucrtbase.dll its crashing in tht point, I tryed change the dll from 64 for the one x86 same in both system windows folders and still crash on windows 10
tks
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 09:00:58 PM by RfsVieira »