Author Topic: RetroFE Version 0.8.14 Menu Issue  (Read 2792 times)

Picapika

• View Profile
RetroFE Version 0.8.14 Menu Issue
« on: November 29, 2021, 08:17:58 PM »
Greetings:

I have two cabinets with RetroFE Version 0.8.14.
The screen is a 29" CRT connected to a video card through a GBS 8100 VGA to RGB converter.
Resolution is 1024x768.
Actually I upgraded the controls for two USB zero delay chinese boards (trying to solve the issue), one for each player (cabinets are for two players).
(I had two hacked gamepads originally in each of the cabinets wired to my controls, and the issue happened with them also).
I'm using the default layout Aeon Nox.
I have Windows 10 with its latest updates.
I use Xpadder v2015.01.01 to map some joystick buttons to keyboard keys for some emulators.

In one of the cabinets I have an issue with RetroFE:
Sometimes when I want to select a system in the layout, RetroFE enters and exit that system, in a loop.
Sometimes if select a system it launchs the first game on that list automatically.
Sometimes it will scroll non stop.

If I press and hold some buttons it changes the behaviour or might switch to another of the mentioned loops. Sometimes this fixes the issue. Sometimes it fixes if I hold the button mapped to the "Exit" function.

If I exit RetroFE with the "Q" key and reload it, most of the times the problem solves itself.

I checked several times under "Devices.." in Windows control panel and the joysticks directions and buttons work fine, no button is self pressed.

I recently updated both cabinets Windows (last time I ran Windows Update was 5 months ago) in hopes to solve the issue.
But it still happens.

Because of this issue, (it only happens in one cab, the other is fine), I tried playing with RetroFE Version 0.10.21 on my main computer. (Windows 10 with latest updates also).
Just a quick test to start migrating from 0.8.14. So I tried to do a small Sega Genesis collection, but for some reason my png screenshots are never shown in the Genesis menu.
I tried changing the format to bmp and jpg. I tried with less compression (I use Irfanview). These screenshots have 320x240 resolution.
Videos seem to work fine (tried the default Zero Tolerance included). But screenshots are never shown and all my collections have png screenshots, being MAME the only exception where I have videos.

I have read that Windows had updated its SDL libraries and that might cause some issues with RetroFE. Maybe that is causing this issue?.

I'll really appreciate any help or guidance.

Regards ;).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 09:36:29 PM by Picapika »

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: RetroFE Version 0.8.14 Menu Issue
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 10:28:59 PM »
I'm not sure when I added the feature, but you could try setting
collectionInputClear = true
in your global settings.conf file. That might solve your control issues. The input code was recently rewritten though, so an update to the latest version might be worth it. You'd need the latest full version, and replace the retrofe.exe with the one from this post: http://retrofe.nl/SMF/index.php?topic=7.msg4621#msg4621

With regards to your screenshots not showing up: I presume these are fall backs for the videos? If so, in which directory are your screenshots located?

Picapika

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 10:44:07 PM »
I'm not sure when I added the feature, but you could try setting
collectionInputClear = true
in your global settings.conf file. That might solve your control issues. The input code was recently rewritten though, so an update to the latest version might be worth it. You'd need the latest full version, and replace the retrofe.exe with the one from this post: http://retrofe.nl/SMF/index.php?topic=7.msg4621#msg4621

With regards to your screenshots not showing up: I presume these are fall backs for the videos? If so, in which directory are your screenshots located?

Thank you very much for your reply, Pieter ;).
My screenshots are in the "screenshot" folder inside the "medium_artwork" directory.
I replaced the version 0.10.21 exe with the one you shared and now they are shown perfectly fine ;).
I will update both systems with this version soon.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Picapika

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 09:16:55 PM »
Hello, how are you?.

I couldn't find any info in the forum. System name (For example "Genesis") is not shown in neither in 0.10.21 or 0.10.26.
In its place the name of the manufacturer is shown in a very little font.
With 0.8.14 the name of the system's folder was shown in a big font.
Maybe I need to add an extra file or edit a *.conf file?.
Another issue is that the system videos skip a few seconds from the start.

So far I managed to migrate all my collections, only issues are the ones mentioned.

About the "collectionInputClear = true" setting it was already present in all my setups.

Regards ;).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 10:42:38 PM by Picapika »

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 05:53:55 PM »
Can you upload some screenshots?

Picapika

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 06:55:26 PM »
Hello, Pieter:

I attach two pictures, in the top left margin the system name was shown, along with the manufacturer or the year. Now I only see the manufacturer, but not the system name nor the year.

-----EDIT-----
I have a related question. I have 4 Sega Genesis emulators and 3 NES ones...in the past I created a separate collection for each emulator, because I must change the launcher in its settings.conf. Would it be possible to have all the emulators inside the same collection menu in RetroFE?.

Edit, nevermind I managed to do it ;). Sorry for adding an extra question.
--------------

Thanks in advance ;).

Regards :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 09:57:55 PM by Picapika »

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 09:54:16 PM »
Looks like I made some errors in the update of the theme file. Try this one.

Picapika

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 10:01:59 PM »

Thanks a million, Pieter.
That solved it ;).

Have a nice evening :).

Picapika

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 11:01:43 PM »

Hello Pieter.
Good evening.

Yesterday I finished updating both cabinets.
But because my resolution in them is 1024x768 RetroFE uses the "layout 4x3.xml".
I made a copy of the xml you shared and renamed it to "layout 4x3" provisionally.
Can you modify the "layout 4x3" xml too, please?.

Thanks in advance. ;)

Regards. :)

Picapika

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 12:48:59 PM »
Greetings:

Here's the mentioned file.
I found a way to edit it myself.

Regards.