Author Topic: Windowed RetroFE with bar  (Read 3056 times)

cassette

• View Profile
Windowed RetroFE with bar
« on: October 11, 2021, 10:43:19 PM »
I want to request an option, perhaps for the fullscreen parameter: for RetroFE to load windowed with a menu bar. This would improve compatibility for fullscreen mode on macOS, for both the Wine or (currently broken) native build. As it is now, RetroFE loads with the old, legacy fullscreen mode which has a series of issues on the platform (no animations are applied to the window, the window is drawn on top of all other programs, etc). If RetroFE had a windows bar, it could be maximized through this button, its fullscreen type would then be correctly interpreted by the platform.

reference: http://retrofe.nl/SMF/index.php?topic=444.msg3913#msg3913

Hope it can happen if it's not too big of a change.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: Windowed RetroFE with bar
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 06:26:22 PM »
Adding the bar as an option shouldn't be too much work. I'll have a look; I need to make a few other small changes anyway.

cassette

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 12:10:08 AM »
Ah, that'd be so great! Thanks. I'll wait eagerly. I think you only have to make sure the maximize button is enabled. I know foobar2000 on Wine runs with native fullscreen through this trick. I believe it has to do with the way fullscreen is triggered - starting RetroFE with its own fullscreen mode vs using macOS fullscreen through a series of wrappers Windowed RetroFE > Wine > macOS. To make use of the latter, I need the program to be windowed and have that menu bar with the - / [] / X buttons. The "stretch" height/width function is already done in RetroFE, so it should adapt easily too.

Otherwise - boring stuff - I have tried a bunch of ways to get this native fullscreen to no avail:

Forcing windowed with DxWnd - didn't work at all
Forcing windowed with D3DWindower - didn't work at all
Running RetroFE on a Windows VM with Parallels - works, but I found no commands on cmd that would open emulators on mac. So for example, having a launcher use macOS native RetroArch.app couldn't be done, I'd instead have to use Windows RetroArch and launch both RetroFE and RetroArch on the VM, which is a whole mess.   
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 12:12:16 AM by firewater »

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 11:00:47 AM »
See if this works for you? Add
windowBorder = yes
windowResize = yes
to your global settings.conf file. It should add the bar as well as the ability to resize the window.

cassette

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 04:33:07 AM »
Hmm... no. I'm testing it on native Windows and "windowBorder = yes" changes something, but there's no bar at the top like you'd have on this internet browser window. All it really changes is I can see the Windows taskbar at the bottom instead of RetroFE covering it.

edit: aaaaaaah, but it works correctly on wine! Thanks a lot! The one thing is, I can't close RetroFE with the close button on wine, nor on native Windows if I right click at the taskbar > Close Windows.

edit: To be clear, for Windows users who'd wish to drag the RetroFE windows, perhaps from one monitor to the next, at least on my end this doesn't render that on a native Windows installation. But for my specific case, through wine, it does.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 05:00:44 AM by firewater »

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 08:22:59 AM »
That's odd though, because it works perfectly fine on my Windows 10. With
windowBorder = yes
windowResize = yes
I not only have a window bar at the top, but I can resize and move the window as well.

cassette

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 09:15:57 PM »
I found what's going on. The stretch settings mess up the borders of the window, particularly "vertical = stretch". My monitor is 1080, if I put in say 1000, then I see the bar. I think most people can just lower the value like I said to work around it. The window adapts okay after that.

I hope you can add the ability to close it with the X button if it's not too much trouble.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 09:32:02 PM »
I'll have a look to see how I can catch that event from within the application. I'll have to read up on the SDL library for that.

cassette

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 10:18:09 PM »
Thanks. I have F4 set to close on Windows and Q on macOS. The idea is to use Alt+F4 and Command+Q respectively, but neither command works I think from the X button thing. Fullscreen hotkey on macOS which is Control+Command+F is alto intercepted by RetroFE before it can trigger the event so it doesn't work either - but I care more about closing the app.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 11:10:16 PM »
You can always map a single key to the quit button of course.

cassette

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 01:53:24 AM »
Yeah, it's what I do now. Just wish I could have it done with the combined hotkey, which is probably easier to deal with from fixing the X button thing than by adding combined input feature to RetroFE. The bar you've added actually shows on fullscreen in macOS, that is, fullscreened apps in macOS display the bar when you put hover the cursor at the top. So it'd be useful at least to me from that perspective also.