Author Topic: linux executable??  (Read 1514 times)

Wraithalchemist

• View Profile
linux executable??
« on: July 08, 2022, 04:28:07 AM »
what linux distro is the executable made for that doesnt require it to be compiled. got the zip but 18.04 ubuntu doesnt like it. have it compiled as well but it just crashes constantly. this is on my switch for my info on the issue if anyone knows. this could be great on the switch so further help would be very VERY awesome. am able to run attractmode on it with no issue but prefer retrofe as its what i have made my own personal layout for.. thanks in advance guys for any info or help. log doesnt show anything either before you ask. retrofe just freezes at random and needs to be force closed.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: linux executable??
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 10:06:10 AM »
The latest executable was made on Kubuntu 22.04. Self compile is generally the way to go in these matters though; it provides you with an executable most suitable for your own system.

Wraithalchemist

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 08:14:03 PM »
i want it on my pi. i saw that a group made an image for it but after trying it have decided it is not good enough at all. is what i saw max performance for what the pi can do with retrofe? am thinking about compiling for ps4 linux as well. on the switch there is something stoping it from working well too. crashes left and right. looked at logs and all is see is it saying it cant find settings 9 or other numbers. or layout 16x9 yada yada... i dont use any of those but i also doubt that is the problem either with the freezes i get. i wish there was more of a guru on linux and had an unpatched switch to try this on with one of the switchroot distros available.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 09:49:16 AM »
Those are all INFO messages, and can safely be ignored. RetroFE is merely letting you know which files it looks for, and which files it could actually find (or not). Random crashes like this are usually caused by problems with the gstreamer library, but you can easily check that by turning off the videos, and see if that solves your issue. Not all platforms have stable SDL and gstreamer libraries I'm afraid.

With regards to the Pi4, perhaps you should have a chat with the people who created the images for CoinOPS. They may have some useful information for you in that regard. I stepped out after the Pi3, and only run Linux on my PC platforms (cocktail arcade and laptop) I'm afraid, so I don't have a lot of experience with Linux on other platforms.

Wraithalchemist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 04:15:59 AM »
ok back to the switch again.. it crashes alot. just freezes. here is log. any hints pop out at you guys?? it runs well until it dies
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 04:26:06 AM by Wraithalchemist »