Author Topic: ORBiT Theme - WIP  (Read 7301 times)

STAiNLESS

• CORE
    • View Profile
ORBiT Theme - WIP
« on: June 30, 2020, 06:59:22 AM »
Early WIP of horizontal spinning games menu-
https://youtu.be/OOVNplp1QUQ

I have not seen this style wheel before so thought I'd try it.

Or with logo switch option-
https://youtu.be/XwxTdsFK8zY
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 12:27:19 AM by STAiN »

Sequence

• View Profile
Re: ORBiT Theme - WIP
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 11:20:02 PM »
imo, box style is better but add 1 more on each side. video, needs static background. collection menu system is great. system logo in upper right, great. letter scroll upper left, great. system background, great. nice touch on the subtle hovering. game video bezel and per game background image not a fan of. to 100% it would take some serious work.

just throwing my opinion out there if it helps. i've made tons of themes and realized that I just really wanted them to look good...but forgot about the "play me" aspect. doesn't scream play me. imo the best themes do. break down the basic hyperspin setup and it looks like bbb made a solid "play me" layout. press start flashing, easy visual selection, game name (cause it's a pain to tell somebody what the game is called, even if you know)

1000% opinions in efforts to supply feedback.

STAiNLESS

• CORE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 05:48:04 AM »
appreciate the comments  :)
basically at the moment, the only menu on show is the game select menu, even that really has only had time put into the menu wheel. the other menu's are still bare minimum and has been quickly slapped in for function and will definitely be getting some lovin..
I'm also not sold on the tv game bezels, just seein how it looks.
I'm not sure what to do for the background still, at moment it's just fanart, if there is none it will show the system pic as the default fanart.
The extra boxes on the menu wheel I agree with, size and position is still to be tinkered with. I will likely include a switch so you can choose if you want logos or boxes, same with the systems menu, choose between a system.png or system logo maybe.

Sequence

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 05:29:17 PM »
thanks for not taking my comments negatively, thanks  :)

system backgrounds - system image float (great)
game backgrounds - box art backgrounds zoomed in (personal favorite) may look best with logo style
selection wheel - make it a perfect oval with the selected game below the video
firstletter - make horizontal on top of screen (finishing touches)
reflection - less (too many is kinda distracting)
video bezel - not a fan of per game bezels BUT a standard simple per system one might be cool
selected system console logo - on the bezel or video (maybe)
pointer - really helps people know where they are giving them the focus on the video (good idea)
on screen controls - 100% helps, the question "So how do I go back" infuriates me BUT really needs to be basic with so many control schemes ppl choose
*also, one only truly needs SELECT and BACK. "X" button for categories and letterscroll etc...don't really need representation imo

Guess what i'm saying is that basic appears better. The best insight comes from children. If a kid can use it without instructions then you know it's perfect.
My theme on my Arcade1up only has "PRESS START" flashing on the bottom center. Off to the side I have "O" "BACK". That's it. Plain old stupid simple. Haven't made a theme since.

Count me in on your project if you want a hand. I've worked with RetroFE for years and I do have Photoshop.

Best advice I could ever ever give is "Make it for you, not the community. A visual masterpiece is great and all BUT....does it get played?"

STAiNLESS

• CORE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 02:35:43 AM »
Nah man, all constructive comments are welcome and very much appreciated. I may not always agree with them as we all have our own taste, but I will still take them all onboard for sure  :)
My main goal in this theme is control response on my arcade sticks. A lot of themes I have tried just don't respond well for me, that may just be my setup, it may not. But there are some out there that respond well, I want this one to be one of those.
In saying that, I am going to try minimise the animations and reloadable content in the layout.
This started with a minimum base theme by JonahUK, he released it for us on the CORE discord in hope to get people involved in theme building. It's a great starting point will all the minimum things needed for a functioning theme, just start tinkering away at the xml and make your changes.

STAiNLESS

• CORE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 12:24:10 PM »
How about video bezels?
https://youtu.be/eH3tgiqREsY

Sequence

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 11:22:55 PM »
box wheel - perfect (quantity, placements, reflections and transitions)
video bezel effects - perfect...just perfect
box art background - lookin good

I would add the game title on the video after it transitions to full screen, IF it worked right.

Looks really good so far. Keep going, it looks playable  8)

STAiNLESS

• CORE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 05:39:16 AM »
we got more plans for the video bezels :)
still not sure on background yet, just throw boxart in there to see how it looks. Considering making the video smaller now that it transitions to full screen anyway, that would give more room to move with background art.

STAiNLESS

• CORE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 12:54:53 AM »
As I can't container a reflection, it's back to plan A for video bezel art.
Pieter said he will look at it for me, but is busy at the moment in damage control from a failed hard drive :(

STAiNLESS

• CORE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 11:26:37 AM »
21:9 UltraWide layout

https://youtu.be/-Rj_fznKPEs

STAiNLESS

• CORE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 12:25:27 PM »