Author Topic: Per game launcher configuration  (Read 7065 times)

cassette

• View Profile
Per game launcher configuration
« on: January 17, 2017, 01:08:46 AM »
There are systems that have games that aren't able to be launched with the emulator associated with the system. For example, one would typically include Mario Kart Arcade GP under "Arcade", but one needs Dolphin instead of MAME to run it.

It has been mentioned before, I'm just bringing it here to the new forum.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: Per game launcher configuration
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 06:29:14 AM »
It's on my todo list. For now you could put it in a separate collection, and then include it via a .sub file.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

cassette

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 07:50:03 AM »
Great!! The workaround you mention is not too bad - it kind of bothers me on an OCD-related level, but it definitely does the trick as a temporary solution.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 09:58:54 AM »
I'm considering adding the following feature:
Add an optional launchers directory to each collection, in which a .conf file can be created for each game. When launching, RetroFE will check for the launcher file, and if it exists it will use that launcher. If it does not exist it will use the default launcher set for that collection.

romjacket

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 07:16:28 PM »
Add an optional launchers directory to each collection, in which a .conf file can be created for each game. When launching, RetroFE will check for the launcher file, and if it exists it will use that launcher. If it does not exist it will use the default launcher set for that collection.

This would be a really unique feature which would separate it from other fe's.  I like it.

cassette

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 12:29:05 AM »
That'd be nice, yes!

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 07:02:05 AM »
I've got it working in bit bucket; just want to do some more testing.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

bundangdon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 07:28:25 AM »

This would be extremely useful and would be very helpful in situations where different emulators are necessary/required with various games. Definitely another great idea :)

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 07:35:24 AM »
The way it's implemented now is that I simply allow a new launcher to be selected via a .conf file in the launchers directory of the collection. All the real launchers are still in the launchers directory as always.
As a simple example: I could add a SNES rom "Super Turrican.zip" to my NES set, and add a launcher file "collections/NES/launchers/Super Turrican.conf" containing the line SNES. For that game it will then use "launchers/SNES.conf" in stead of the default "launchers/NES.conf". This will keep all launcher files in the same directory, while allowing you to select a different launcher for specific games. I'm not 100% sure if this is the best solution; in stead I could also use a full launcher file in stead of a launcher change. What are your thoughts?

KMetalMind

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 09:09:31 AM »
I haven´t tested the feature yet, but it´s the perfect solution for me. Having all the launchers on the same folder it´s IMO a great idea (up until I started using retroFE I had them on different folders with the collections, and it was certainly worse).

I´ll use it for sure once I get some time, as some of my collections need more than one launcher  ;D Thanks again!