Author Topic: Scan for roms recursively  (Read 5706 times)

ktharsis

• View Profile
Scan for roms recursively
« on: January 17, 2017, 03:16:18 AM »
Hi! I just joined this forum after I joined the old forum and figured out it was closed. This was a previous request there:
http://www.retrofe.com/forum/index.php?topic=463.0

I wish to second that request. I don't keep each rom in it's own folder like that guy does but i do keep roms in subfolders like this:
D:\roms\gba\0-9\
D:\roms\gba\a\
D:\roms\gba\b\
D:\roms\gba\c\

I hope you see the pattern. It is especially helpful when trying to find a particular rom in a collection of 500 roms and you aren't using RetroFE but the emulator itself. If this sounds crazy or I haven't made myself clear, please ask me about it. Thanks for listening!

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: Scan for roms recursively
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 06:28:04 AM »
Grab the latest executable from the features thread; 0.7.20b3 supports that feature. Just set list.romHierarchy to true in the settings.conf of that collection.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:55:12 AM by Pieter Hulshoff »

ktharsis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 12:18:24 AM »
THANK YOU!!!
I've been trying out frontends for a couple of weeks now. RetroFE was my last hope and it was the best!

cassette

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 01:50:36 AM »
Great stuff! Is there any chance of this being expanded to artwork? With systems that have addon-dependant games, I format the folder considering that. So for example, for Mega Drive, instead of having all covers inside of "front", I have three folders inside "front" - "Standalone", "32X", and "Sega CD". I could lump them all in one folder, but it wouldn't be as "correct" imo. I could also divide the platforms and threat them separately from the RetroFE menu, but 32X and Sega CD aren't separate consoles, so that doesn't make sense to me.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 07:00:56 AM »
It's certainly possible to do so, but if the number of files increases it will seriously slow down the performance. Loading the roms is a one time thing when entering a collection, but loading of art is a rather continuous occasion.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

cassette

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 05:54:37 PM »
Oooh, right. Well, I'm running RetroFE not for just old consoles, but systems up to Wii U and the latest Windows games, so maybe I'm in the minority that uses this as a frontend for all video games available and thus wouldn't have a problem in terms of computer hardware running it. In that sense I'd include the option to do it with artwork regardless and let the user deal with it if it gets slow and whatnot. But, I'd understand if you don't want to include it as a design decision.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 06:11:32 PM »
I'll give some thoughts about how best to do this. It could be a settings.conf option, so only used if wanted.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Agent47

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 06:34:27 PM »
You're certainly not in the minority for having a wide range of systems, that's quite common. However, I think you are definitely in the minority for how you have your images/systems arranged. Not to say you're wrong or anything of course as it's a matter of preference.

I think if that's implemented at all it should be an option since performance will take a hit for it and like I mentioned I don't think it's a very common configuration. My hardware is plenty powerful as well but that doesn't mean I want to sacrifice any performance for features when possible, especially ones that I don't see as widely popular or necessary personally.

cassette

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 10:24:35 AM »
Definitely, I get what you're saying. I'm not even that settled with the way I currently have the artwork settled, but it makes the most sense to me right now and would appreciate the existence of the option. And I agree that if implemented it should be a optional line that is not enabled by default.