Author Topic: A few words about RetroFE based builds  (Read 5595 times)

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
A few words about RetroFE based builds
« on: May 28, 2020, 11:22:08 AM »
With the frictions between people on these forums lately, there's a few words that I would like to say about the builds that have been released based on the RetroFE front-end lately, most notably CoinOPS, CORE, and PacksRUs:
  • I think it's wonderful that these builds show the potential and flexibility hidden within RetroFE. Please make sure the users read the RetroFE documentation though, so they can fix things when they break down.
  • I'm painfully aware of the legality of these builds, and am personally not very happy with the fact that some of these releases are carrying games and systems that are still commercially being sold. It draws attention to the emulation scene from companies you don't want to draw attention from, and may impact the development of such games if not enough copies are sold.
  • I'm even more painfully aware of the arguments between members of the development teams of these builds. Please keep those arguments away from the RetroFE community, and if at all possible keep me out of it as well. I'm not an arbiter in these matters, nor do I have a vote within these communities.
  • RetroFE will continue to be an independent F/OSS platform, and if I see advantages in adding a requested feature, and have the spare time to implement it, I will do so. This is regardless of who requests the feature. What matters to me is whether it's a useful feature to have for the RetroFE community, and whether it can be implemented without completely turning the RetroFE code base upside down.
If you have complaints or worries, please send me a personal message. I will try to answer your questions as soon as possible, but I don't want to see these arguments fought out on the RetroFE forum. That's not why I helped build this platform, and not why I pay the yearly fees to keep this website up and running.