Author Topic: RetroFE 0.10.0  (Read 10954 times)

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
RetroFE 0.10.0
« on: May 24, 2020, 07:05:02 AM »
It's been a while since we had an official release, so I've put 0.10.0 on the download page. You can find the list of changes here.

Some highlights:
- Support for new key types, such as next/prevCyclePlaylist, playlistUp/Down/Left/Right, and collectionUp/Down/Left/Right.
- Proper theme scaling.
- Attract mode switches for playlists, collections, and animations.
- fps and fpsIdle parameters to improve performance on older systems.
- Support for automatically generated lastplayed playlist.
- Built in reboot option, usable by the launcher for e.g. script based theme switching.
- Improved GPU performance.
- Several bugs fixed, including zero delay encoder problems.
- Code cleanup.

I hope to update the documentation later this week so people know how to properly use the new features. :) It's mostly up to date; just missing the last few updates.

johnm

• View Profile
Re: RetroFE 0.10.0
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 04:56:12 PM »

There's a RetroFE.exe in root that shows this when opened in hexedit
C:\Users\Eric\Documents\CFW_Launcher_VS2015_RunTime_NoWait_TrayRefresh\Forgotten_Worlds\Release\Forgotten_Worlds.pdb

Do you know what this file does apart from replacing the shortcut?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 07:45:06 PM by johnm »

tonesmalone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 01:34:30 PM »
Hmm latest build isn’t opening for me on Windows. RetroFE.exe spawns itself a bunch of times, machine hangs and I have to reboot.

Need to investigate a bit more. Anyone else seeing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 04:20:03 PM »
Odd, I had no problems on my system. Can you try creating a shortcut to core\retrofe.exe in the root directory, and starting that to see if it fixes your problems? If it does, I'll update the zip file.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 04:25:08 PM »

There's a RetroFE.exe in root that shows this when opened in hexedit
C:\Users\Eric\Documents\CFW_Launcher_VS2015_RunTime_NoWait_TrayRefresh\Forgotten_Worlds\Release\Forgotten_Worlds.pdb

Do you know what this file does apart from replacing the shortcut?

It's a bat converted to exe. It should try to start joy2key and then RetroFE, but if joy2key is not present it will simply skip that. The shortcut never managed to make the icon stick, so I figured this might be a better option.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 10:40:57 PM by Pieter Hulshoff »

johnm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 07:56:35 PM »
Thanks, I got the info from another, its a file made by someone called Fnord. Whats in it I have no idea so I deleted it anyway and just use a shortcut with it staring in the RetroFE root

tonesmalone

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 09:50:22 PM »
Odd, I had no problems on my system. Can you try creating a shortcut to core\retrofe.exe in the root directory, and starting that to see if it fixes your problems? If it does, I'll update the zip file.

My bad. I screwed up the upgrade and didn’t replace the exe with the new one. All good!

dougan78

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 12:30:28 AM »

My bad. I screwed up the upgrade and didn’t replace the exe with the new one. All good!

So you didn’t upgrade?  ;)

STAiNLESS

• CORE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 03:27:50 AM »
Thanks for the reboot function :)

BritneysPAIRS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 04:29:27 AM »
Shortcut had problems with mounting diff locations esp when shelled, the exe launches Joytokey or Anitmicro, mounts the drives so paths are all relative, and closes the programs and clears up the icons when retrofe closes. If you don't find any issues then its not of any use however it does sort a lot of issues found over the years with pathing and launching support programs along side retrofe

tonesmalone

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 09:11:53 AM »

So you didn’t upgrade?  ;)

I did. Works great. I just didn’t copy the new exe that’s all. Was a screw up on my part.

johnm

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 11:15:32 AM »

Is the source to this RetroFE.exe available Phulshuff or as you say it's a bat to exe then a text file of the bat contents? I have no idea what mounting drives has to do with it, all my paths are relative whether in the launcher or bat files I have used. I've used auto hotkey script to launch other stuff and hide the mouse but if the bat files contents are available for people to mess about and adapt to their own needs then great.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 05:50:25 PM »
I don’t have the source code of it. If it worries you, simply create a shortcut. I may update the package and replace it with a shortcut if it causes so much discussion.

johnm

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 07:28:51 PM »

Worry is tad too much, mistrust something that a 3rd person made that you dont know, have the details or file contents of then yeah. I deleted the file when you last replied and use a shortcut as well as one on my taskbar, no problems launching the FE from either nor launching emus from it despite something about mounting drives..

While I'm on, I have an old core 2 duo PC I was thinking of sticking in a Cab, I have the option of Win7 but linux could be a go if it offers better  efficiency. What Linux distro could you recommend to run RetroFE?

Thanks again

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2020, 10:07:43 PM »
I run Kubuntu on mine, but I'm just lazy. Had some issues with window focus and sound on simpler window managers in the past, and was too lazy to dive deeper, so I went back to Kubuntu. :)