Author Topic: Roms located on a NAS  (Read 4276 times)

bodbod

• View Profile
    • Don't be a sheep, Do It Yourself !
Roms located on a NAS
« on: January 08, 2017, 07:16:01 PM »
Hi,

Is it possible to have the Roms located on a server with retro-FE ?, maybe with the exception of the Mame ones to avoid issues.
I believe this wouldn't have any performance issue as it usually find the targeted rom and unzip it in a temp folder to run it... As well, the rom listing on the screen depends of the include.txt file. Media would be saved on the local machine to avoid lags.

This would permit me to save space and have all the roms located in one place and maybe use different devices with different emulators withing the local network.

Thanks in advance !

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: Roms located on a NAS
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 07:35:22 PM »
Sure, why not? You could set the rompath in the settings.conf file or use an include.txt file like you said. RetroFE has no real restrictions in this area.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

bodbod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 08:51:26 PM »
sounds great, thanks for this info !

Might be worth to mention it into your documentation wiki page ?

KMetalMind

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 04:18:03 PM »
I´ve my entire retroFE setup on a NAS and it works perfectly. I´ve tested running it from two computers at the same time and there´s no problem. Even the most demanding emulators like dolphin or PCSX2 work perfectly, so don´t worry about having everything on NAS  ;D

bodbod

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 09:48:17 PM »
You mean Roms and Media I suppose

KMetalMind

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 08:45:52 AM »
You mean Roms and Media I suppose

Everything:
* retroFe sits on the NAS
* All media and metadata is on the NAS
* All emulators and roms are on NAS
* Even PC games are installed on NAS

Everything works perfectly. retroFE behaves correctly and navigating the same installed build at two PCs at once doesn´t break anything in any of them. Emulators work as expected on all my tests, and even PC games can be played on LAN perfectly with just one installation folder. From my understanding, the only things that can be troublesome are:
* If too many computers access at the same time I suppose it will get slower (no problems on mine using two).
* If the emulator/game stores the saved files or temporary files on the emulator/game folder, obviously changes in one computer affect the other.

We have tested even emulators like dolphin with demanding games like F-Zero GX on two computers and the same time from the same folder on NAS, and it works perfectly.

Just try it for yourself  ;)