Author Topic: New website  (Read 23562 times)

Tom Acunzo

• View Profile
Re: New website
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 09:41:18 PM »
I made some good headway on the MacOS build!

RetroFE can be installed with Homebrew, keeping it simple!
RetroFE can be started from the command line 'retrofe' or as a clickable RetroFE.app!

Now a couple of things.
1) Do we have an official Icon I can use?
2) When starting RetroFE as an App Mac OS doesn't honor user defined environment variables that were set from the console. The GUI location of setting this up varies on which version of Mac OS X you are running. One way I can work around this is to allow the creation of a user made ~/.retrofe flat file. Inside that is a one liner '/your/new/retrofe-home'. At the moment this is a Mac only feature. If you think this would be useful for Linux too let me know. If so we should decide that when ~/.retrofe is detected does it supersede if $RETROFE_PATH was also set?

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 06:59:26 AM »
That's great news! :)

I believe there's an icon in the current distribution release, but if it's not I'll grab it from my own set, and send it to you.

How does that RETROFE_PATH work exactly? I haven't needed to set any path variables under Linux; it just uses the path it's executed in as base, which allows for a portable RetroFE installation. Could you elaborate a bit?

Tom Acunzo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2016, 07:55:56 AM »
I don't fully understand the real impact of having it myself. Why not name it RETROFE_HOME for one? One advantage of the option though is that if you install an updated version of RetroFE in a fixed location it wipes out what's there. When you fire up RetroFE regardless of where you place it, it will load the configuration that was hard set outside of the executables path via ENV variable. I don't know if that's important to users. Or if it helps those who wish to hot switch to a varied preset launcher configuration. I can only speculate.

KMetalMind

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 04:20:32 PM »
Minor question about the forum: I need to press F5 every time I enter them, or I canĀ“t access any of the forums. Does it happens to anybode else?  :o IE11 on W7.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 05:02:07 PM »
I heard more complaints from others as well. What happens if you don't use F-5?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

bodbod

• View Profile
    • Don't be a sheep, Do It Yourself !
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 04:44:53 AM »
Hi,

I have the same issue, i always have to refresh the page to be able to browse the forum.
If not i have a oops error message...

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 08:37:47 AM »
From what I understand it has something to do with the PHP session ID being part of the URL, though how and why is still unclear to me. If anyone has any suggestions: I'm all ears. I'll try to contact hosting support later this week to see if they have any answers.

Edit: I've just disabled almost all WordPress plugins to see if that helps any. Let me know if you still have issues, preferably with details that I can show to the helpdesk.

Edit: Do you by chance have cookies disabled?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:50:27 AM by Pieter Hulshoff »

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 01:49:37 PM »
Has this issue disappeared since I removed all the WordPress plugins or does it still exist?

Also: Any web developers willing to give me a hand on improving this website? :) Web design really isn't my strong suit. Neither is programming, but I manage to bluff my way through that. ;)

GoodWill Emu

• Maker of the RetroFE Setup Tool
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 06:18:03 PM »
The solution is very simple:
After Registration it works flawlessly; only if you are watching as guest there is the 403 error... maybe access restrictions?

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 06:59:04 PM »
Probably, but access to guest should be available according to the settings...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ryuuji

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 10:53:46 PM »
Also: Any web developers willing to give me a hand on improving this website? :) Web design really isn't my strong suit. Neither is programming, but I manage to bluff my way through that. ;)

Need 48-hours day ;D ... maybe will thry some html5 someday

ryuuji

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 02:36:21 AM »
Should I continue ? or is not appealing ?

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 08:53:21 AM »
I have no opinion to be honest. :) My web site problems are not just from a lack of coding capability, but more a lack of aesthetic vision. Would anyone care to chip in here?

ryuuji

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2017, 11:11:34 AM »

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2017, 11:17:41 AM »
I think it's an improvement over what I have for sure, though I miss the download menu button, and I would like a slide-show/video on the front page as well. You're making this with WordPress I hope?

We should also make a promotion video again sometime; one that really shows off RetroFE, and that we can show on the front-page. Is anyone up for making one? TimmyB made one in the past, but I haven't spoken to him in a while.