Author Topic: RetroFE and rpcs3  (Read 4086 times)

squirlslap

• View Profile
RetroFE and rpcs3
« on: September 15, 2019, 02:24:10 AM »
I would like to know if it's possible to run the PS3 emulator rpcs3 on RetroFE. If so any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW I'm loving this frontend.

xiaoxiao181

• View Profile
Re: RetroFE and rpcs3
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 07:32:04 PM »
Give me an hour to set it up and try it. If I can manage to get it to work, I'll come back and tell you how. I seem to be having a lot of good luck lately with RetroFE. :)

xiaoxiao181

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 11:19:23 PM »
Sorry about the wait. Give me some more time. Had to wait for a buddy to get off work to bring me his copy of ratchet and clank trilogy to test it with. I'll be with you as soon as I can.

xiaoxiao181

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 12:15:15 AM »
Finally tested and here are the results. The answer is yes and no.

In launchers.windows > Ps3 (or whatever you named it as) the text is as follows:

executable = emulators\PS3\rpcs3.exe
arguments = (S)ELF "%ITEM_FILEPATH%"

That will technically launch the emulator, but it will not launch the game. This is due to the development team having moved to the QT platform a couple years ago and it seems that they still have not implemented command line arguments into the software.

Even so, the emulator is still in development so hang in there and give it some time. It should be solved eventually.

xiaoxiao181

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 02:38:28 AM »
UPDATE!

There IS a way to get it to work but it's very complex!

After having spent hours with some of the RPCS3 team, we were able to come up with a method to not only make the emulator launch, but to launch into the game directly!

Read carefully because this is some complicated stuff.

First, make sure your launcher config is as such:

executable = emulators\PS3\rpcs3.exe
arguments = "%ITEM_FILEPATH%"

Next, you must place your ps3 game dump wherever it is you're going to be storing them. For me, I stored them in the roms folder themselves for portability reasons.

Next, and this is the absolute most important part. Go to the settings file in the ps3 folder in collections and change the file type  to BIN, not bin. It must be capitalized.

Next, you need to launch your command prompt as an administrator and type

mklink "1" "2"

replace 1 with the path to the folder where you wish to place the shortcut. This is like an advanced shortcut, because it has to be. You cannot right click the EBOOT.BIN file and create a shortcut that way. RetroFE won't read the directories correctly that way. Doing it this way creates what's called a SymLink. It's an advanced type of shortcut that uses the same file extension as the file it's being directed to, allowing you to open that file using pathing, like in this case. Replace 2 with the path to the bin file you're creating a shortcut for.

So for me I typed in this:

mklink  "R:\collections\Sony Playstation 3\roms\Ratchet and Clank Trilogy.BIN" "R:\collections\Sony Playstation 3\roms\Ratchet and Clank Trilogy\PS3_GAME\USRDIR\EBOOT.BIN"

Remember, the first set of quotations is the name and location of the shortcut you want to make, and the second set of quotations is the path to the binary file you're making the shortcut of.

Following all of these directions carefully will allow you to launch the game from RetroFE directly through RPCS3 and into the game!

squirlslap

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 06:49:50 AM »
Fantastic work,thanks for the help.Now time to mess with Cemu,Citra,CXBX-Reloaded,PPSSPP,Xenia,Yuzu any pointers  ;D.

xiaoxiao181

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 05:34:00 PM »
Haven't messed with any of those yet but I'll keep you updated on it

xiaoxiao181

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 07:00:55 PM »
Managed to get Citra to work if you're still interested in hearing about that