Author Topic: Project 64 command line  (Read 5788 times)

macattack222

• View Profile
Project 64 command line
« on: August 18, 2019, 09:48:12 PM »
Hey Guys,

I'm putting together some tutorial videos and I'm trying to cover some of the emulators that aren't in the default RetroFe install. I know there is some debate amongst users that Mupen64 is better, but I personally find that Project 64 is better on lower end machines.

I can't figure out the command line however. I was looking at the settings in Launchbox and it seems like it just has their equivalent to "%ITEM_FILE%" But it doesn't seem to like that. I attached the log, but I'm curious if anyone uses PJ64 with retroFE and if they have any guidance.

Thanks

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: Project 64 command line
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 09:52:50 PM »
http://www.retrofe.nl/wiki/doku.php?id=launchers
The thing you're looking for is most likely %ITEM_FILEPATH%

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 09:59:52 PM »
Looks like you're already using that. Are you sure "emulators\Project 64\Project64.exe" is the right path to your executable?

macattack222

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 10:12:33 PM »
Thanks for such a fast reply Pieter. I had a little typo in the first post but I my launcher looks like this

executable = emulators\Project 64\Project64.exe
arguments = "%ITEM_FILEPATH%"

I have been trying to sort this out for some time and since my original post I didn't think to look at the FAQ on the Project 64 site. I feel like this is the issue.

The command line sent to Project64 by the frontend must be right. Project64 puts its own quotes around the path and filename, so even for long filenames with spaces you don't add quotes (this is unlike most emulators, unfortunately).

e.g.
Project64.exe C:\Some path\some folder\some rom.v64 - OK, PJ64 will load this ROM
Project64.exe "C:\Some path\some folder\some rom.v64" - NOT OK, you'll get a Cannot load "file" error or similar.

I'm not sure if you know a work around for this.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 10:35:01 PM »
Remove the quotes in the arguments of your launcher?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

macattack222

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 10:42:48 PM »
I gave that a shot, but it's still "Failed to launch" in the log. I 'll keep playing with it in the meantime.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 11:40:15 PM »
Are you sure the emulator supports zip files?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agent47

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 02:31:11 AM »
You haven't mentioned which version of PJ64 you're using.

The emulator supports zip files so that's not the issue. The quotes around the filepath var depends on version of the emu. From what I recall at least some builds of 1.6 require passing the filepath w/o quotes. Not sure about 1.7, but I know 2.3 requires quotes.

I don't think quotes are the issue though. Even if you were to pass the filepath with the wrong usage of quotes the emu gui opens and throws an error. So that wouldn't cause RetroFE to report an error in the log because the emulator opens.

The error in the log makes it seem like it can't run the emulator at all as if there's a permissions issue but I'm not familiar with the conditions that cause RetroFE to throw that error in the log so idk.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 06:39:04 AM »
RetroFE will throw that error of launching the executable results in an error code by the program. The program not being executable or not present would result in this message, but if Project64.exe would close itself, and throw back an error code, it would also print this message. If however, as you say, the program should open up with a gui with an error message, then it does seem either the file path of the executable is wrong, or the executable itself.
Can you upload a screenshot of the path in the executable properties, and see if you can launch it from the command line?

macattack222

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 08:55:30 AM »
I'm using 2.3 of PJ64. It looks like alot of front ends have two different scripts depending on the versions so you are correct about that.

I toyed with it for a bit and it started to work. So I'm thrilled with that.
I'm not sure why it ended up being so challenging cause actually it seems like it doesn't require anything special. So I feel bad like I wasted your guys' time. The only thing I can think is that I had PJ64.exe in the config file to be portable. For some reason when I typed out the whole path for it, it starting working. However the portable setting seems to work fine for ePSXe, Mame, and retroach as well.  So maybe it was another typo that I had in there originally, but I feel pretty dumb about the whole thing. Either way I think I have every stand alone emulator working properly now so the videos I make will hopefully help some other folks.

Thanks again!

macattack222

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 09:10:27 PM »
In case anyone comes across this and needs help with something similar, I was updating another computer and had a similar issues (I guess because I didn't copy my launcher after I made changes).

It turns out that my issue was I was using forward slashes (/) instead of backslashes (\)

I don't know why I always default to forward slashes but as long as it works. Maybe thats a well known thing with Retrofe but hopefully it can inform someone else.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2019, 06:50:30 AM »
Windows vs Mac/Linux

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

macattack222

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 09:08:19 AM »
Right it shouldn't be a big deal...cause me a ton of headaches today but oh well lol.

xiaoxiao181

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 04:36:13 PM »
executable = emulators\N64\Project64.exe
arguments = "%ITEM_FILEPATH%"

Your executable path may have different folder names, but this is what I use. It's just the default commands.