Author Topic: Running games  (Read 3644 times)

robbieh

• View Profile
Running games
« on: October 14, 2018, 12:40:02 PM »
Hi all. Thanks for the add also.
I have a problem loading any games at all?
I installed retro fe and put a couple of to me in arcade folder but when I click on selected game it won't load at all. Any game? I can't find a decent tutorial on it anywhere.  Please help

shc

• View Profile
Re: Running games
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 07:04:05 PM »
you mean the mame emulator to load arcade games?

robbieh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 07:33:53 AM »
I presume so lol. I have the emulator but not sure where it goes?.
The games appear but just won't run?

robbieh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 07:34:30 AM »
Is there a guide anywhere?

shc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 11:05:50 AM »
You have to specify the frontend where you have the emulator located as well as the roms as well. It is important that you go to the folder "Launchers Windows" and there choose or create one. I have the launcher for Mame like this:

executable = emulators \ MAME \ mame64.exe
arguments = "% ITEM_NAME%"

At the beginning, the whole issue of the configurations is a bit confusing, but as you practice and read the forum posts, you will surely master it. Luck!

dlol

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 02:26:34 PM »
You also need to specify which launcher RetroFE will use in the settings.conf of your collection.

So, in order, I think the steps are:

1 - Create a collection (see  the included CREATING_COLLECTIONS.txt in the collections folder for instructions . You can also ignore it completely and simply copy one of the already existing collections, changing only the name of the folder. Also works.)
2 - Include your collection in the main RetroFE menu, by adding its name in the menu.txt of the Main collection folder.
3 - Create a launcher for your collection content. Just create a .txt file in the launchers directory with whatever name you like. My build is portable and entirely focused on RetroArch, so my launchers tend to look like this:
Code: [Select]
executable = %RETROFE_PATH%\..\Emulators\RetroArch\retroarch.exe
arguments = -f -L "%RETROFE_PATH%\..\Emulators\RetroArch\cores\nestopia_libretro.dll" "%ITEM_FILEPATH%"
It varies according to which emulator you're gonna use and where your stuff is located.
4 - Inside your collection 'settings.conf' file, search for the line:
Code: [Select]
launcher=mameAnd change it to the name of the launcher you just created.

It may take some trial and error. If it doesn't work, check the log.txt in the RetroFE folder to see what went wrong.