Author Topic: Merged collections custom game order  (Read 4071 times)

Agent47

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Merged collections custom game order
« on: July 28, 2018, 07:16:27 PM »
I've been attempting to use a custom game order using an include.txt for a merged collection (.sub files) but I can't seem to get it to work. Is this currently possible?

I've tried using the normal %gameName% syntax as well as the .sub playlist syntax _%collectionName%: %gameName%. menuSort is set to false, running 0.8.18.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: Merged collections custom game order
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 07:37:51 PM »
I don't see a direct reason why it shouldn't. Could you zip up some files for me (without art and roms)? I'll have a closer look.
Out of curiosity: why do you use an include.txt for a merged collection in stead of just putting the names you want to include in the .sub files?

Agent47

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 08:58:16 PM »
I may have phrased that poorly. I do have the games in .sub files but I want the games to appear in a specific order, which is what I was trying to do by using the include.txt file.

Specifically, I created a "Recently Played" collection and have it updating .sub files after each game launch using script I wrote for RocketLauncher. That all works fine and the collection is updated accordingly, but I want the collection to display the games starting with the last played game (reverse chronological order).

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 11:04:06 PM »
Interesting concept. I'll have a look at the code to see if I can accommodate you with  this.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Agent47

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 11:54:34 PM »
Cool, thanks. No rush of course, it was just something I threw together when I was bored the other day.

I figured this situation may have not been taken into account since it's a rather niche thing but wanted to ask in case it was user error on my part. Although it would also benefit those who want to have collections based upon "Top xxxx Games" lists across multiple platforms and have them sorted in ascending or descending order based upon ranking.

I'm assuming you'll use the _%collectionName%: %gameName% syntax in order to avoid naming conflicts across collections? That will be good for my use case since I need to know the collection name a game belongs to for when I need to delete a game from the .sub file after reaching the max game count I have set. That would save me from having to maintain that info in another file.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 08:12:29 AM »
It's my intention to use the same name format, yes. I just need to have a good look to make sure I don't break the current functionality. Include.txt currently only works on the roms directory, so it requires a bit of thinking.

args

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2023, 10:02:55 AM »
Hi, may I ask if this is still being looked at? I’m trying to do the same thing, but when you have a merged collection you can’t manually sort them by the order they’re listed. It kind of works, but if you have a playlist with roms from different collections via .sub files it will split them instead of sorting them all together by how they’re listed in the sub files. It works if you sort them alphabetically, but not by manual sort (the order they’re listed in the sub or playlist files).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 10:04:46 AM by args »