Author Topic: Outline around text?  (Read 4976 times)

FrankyRizzo

• View Profile
Outline around text?
« on: March 30, 2018, 04:29:39 PM »
ON the Aeon Nox default theme.  The videos up top have text where it displays the Name of the system as well as some additional information you might want to insert.  Right now that text is Solid White.  When a video has a light of white or other light colors in it the text blends with the video. 

Is there anyway to add a 2 or 3 pixel black border around the text?  I played around with some various html and CSS coding that would add it to a web page but it did not seem to work.  I am also unsure which xml file i am supposed to edit.  my theme name is Aeon Nox but I am unsure if I edit layout.xml or layout 16x9.xml.  My resolution is set to 1920x1080 not stretch.

billyc666

• View Profile
Re: Outline around text?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 06:01:59 PM »
edit layout.xml unsure how to add pixels around fonts

FrankyRizzo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 05:21:16 PM »
Maybe my solution is to find and install a font that has a border by default?

JonahUK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 05:31:02 PM »
Not sure if it would work but you could try the same font in black on a layer and then in white on another layer with maybe a 1 pixel size difference?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 05:32:36 PM by JonahUK »

billyc666

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 05:32:01 PM »
what about changing the opacity of wall.png you may need to do it in photoshop by overlaying it a couple of times then lower the opacity

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 06:45:37 PM »
Worst case you could simply create images of what you're looking for, but you'd need one for each game.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

billyc666

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 08:49:35 PM »
ah you mean the main menu in the nox theme,in that case maybe Jonah's idea maybe be a good solution, i suppose using the same size font and changing the position of x & y would create a shadow effect or like jonah said resize the black font so it's larger the the white font

FrankyRizzo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 04:27:19 AM »
Worst case you could simply create images of what you're looking for, but you'd need one for each game.

I am only looking to do this on the main menu, where you select the system.  Not for each title. So basically I could make the text anyway I like and  save as an image and make the image load instead of the text?

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 06:35:08 AM »

I am only looking to do this on the main menu, where you select the system.  Not for each title. So basically I could make the text anyway I like and  save as an image and make the image load instead of the text?

Yes, it’s simply a reloadableImage then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

artman999999

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 06:32:48 AM »
Since outlining isn't natively supported in RetroFE, I just tricked it into simulating some drop shadows to add contrast.  Just copy each text line in the theme (that you want to shadow), change the color to "000000", change the alpha to ".7", adjust the position by 1 or 2 pixels, then lower the priority by 1.  Boom - fake shadowed text.