Author Topic: Low Framerates in MAME when launching through RetroFE  (Read 2318 times)

artman999999

• View Profile
Low Framerates in MAME when launching through RetroFE
« on: June 01, 2018, 03:06:28 PM »
I recently switched my FE to RetroFE due to it's support for HD resolutions. In my setup, RetroFE is strictly a FE, and makes CLI calls to RocketLauncher to run the emulators.  After some tinkering to get it working, everything seemed fine. Except when I tried to run more demanding, high framerate MAME games (CAVE shooters in particular), my FPS would drop into the single digits, making the games totally unplayable. Most other games worked fine - it was specifically the shooters with the issue. And this was ONLY if the games were launched through RocketLauncher on a CLI call from RetroFE. If I ran from MAME directly, or from RocketLauncher UI, everything ran fine.  RetroFE also ran smoothly at all times, before and after rom launch.

After checking the bezel settings, resolution, and plugin settings, everything checked out. Since the problem seemed to be with RetroFE, I decided to check the "launch as admin" settings, which I had already set at install. BUT...for some reason I had turned the program's compatibility settings to "Windows 8", when I'm running everything on Windows 10. As soon as I turned off compatibility for RetroFE (still running it as Admin), everything magically ran full speed. Not sure why the compatibility setting for the front end had anything to do with the emulator speed, but it did.

Just thought I would post this solution, as the problem/cause really didn't make any sense.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: Low Framerates in MAME when launching through RetroFE
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 03:15:09 PM »
Thank you for the information. I can't say I've ever ran into this issue, but it's good to keep in mind in case someone in the future does. :)