Author Topic: Adding synopsis  (Read 7293 times)

billyc666

• View Profile
Adding synopsis
« on: March 02, 2018, 09:03:25 PM »
Hey everyone, im sure i had an account here years ago but cant seem to find it.
anyways i thought id check out how retrofe as come along over the years, looking good i must say, love the aeon nox theme, so i thought i would have a go at using some of my info in the theme.

so my question is if i wanted to overwrite everything that is displayed on the sample genesis game what file and tags would i need to change

im hoping i can possibly make a sexycirus theme if i can remember how to do it.

forgot to say the source of my info i will use will come from my github page as im planning on adding more info to systems

https://github.com/billyc999/Game-database-info

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: Adding synopsis
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 11:17:25 PM »
I think you had an account on the RetroFE .com website; I continued Emb's coding work, but not his website. :)

Game information is pulled from the meta.db file, which is generated from the XML files in the meta directory, and its subdirectories. The sample Genesis game is probably defined in the Sega Genesis.xml file in the meta/hyperlist directory.

As you can gather from that: RetroFE doesn't fill its game lists from the XML files. It just uses the information from there to add game information for the front-end.

billyc666

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 08:02:15 AM »
ah yes it was RetroFe.com , a little later last night i noticed how the data is overwritten using the xml's but i couldn't seem to get the scrolling text to change is there any way to override that
i tried story tags as i noticed it in theme theme xml but no luck

ah ah i figured it, they go in txt files in the story folder, do these file overwrite the meta.db file or are they read when needed.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 09:20:52 AM by billyc666 »

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 10:41:46 AM »
ah yes it was RetroFe.com , a little later last night i noticed how the data is overwritten using the xml's but i couldn't seem to get the scrolling text to change is there any way to override that
i tried story tags as i noticed it in theme theme xml but no luck

ah ah i figured it, they go in txt files in the story folder, do these file overwrite the meta.db file or are they read when needed.
They are read when needed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

billyc666

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 11:48:11 AM »
cool, i did thousands of them based on hyperlist all complete, ill just need to pull the info from the csv files and create the story files. if you're interested when im done i can upload somewhere.
ill be willing to make any missing ones as ill be updating the github csv database just as soon as i get time (shortly)

quick question if anyone knows the answer
to make the story files i've come across a problem
i need to be able to make the text files based on the rows (A1) will be the name of the txt file (B1) will be the contents of the text file (the story) anyone know a way i can parse the csv or maybe an xml based on tags to create the story files
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 02:42:49 PM by billyc666 »

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 04:05:03 PM »
If you’re on Linux you can probably script it quite easily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

billyc666

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 05:24:53 PM »
unfortunately im on windows, i thought it may be possible with powershell, until i figure that part out i started on the theme in photoshop, ill probably base it on your aeon nox theme as it should be simple to edit to suit the theme

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 05:46:28 PM »
unfortunately im on windows, i thought it may be possible with powershell, until i figure that part out i started on the theme in photoshop, ill probably base it on your aeon nox theme as it should be simple to edit to suit the theme

Upload an example, and I'll have a look. If it's not too hard I can do it for you, and send you the results. I just got some experience in Python as well, so I might even be able to make it work on Windows. :)

billyc666

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 06:29:50 PM »
Thank you, i've just uploaded the AAE one but if you look  at the github link on the 1st post the ods files are the most up to date

column A is rom name, column J is the story

other columns are

Year
Rating
Game Name
Developer
Publisher
Genre
Score 0.1 to 5.0
number of players

**edit** added both csv and ods files

« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 06:34:09 PM by billyc666 »

billyc666

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 09:47:27 PM »
got it sorted now, someone at openoffice forum's gave me the idea to add echo and txt to the first cell to create a batch file.

so now it should be pretty simple to create the collections of the stories if you want them uploading, ill need to check they still match hyperlist but it should be no biggie

i thought i would try a biggish set so i did the ps2 story files
there was a couple of adjustments to make but it was easy to spot the faults as the txt files where creted

i've attached the set to this post
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 10:28:08 PM by billyc666 »

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 08:23:26 AM »
Looks good to me. :)

I wonder what the wisest way to continue is though. Do you wish to hold on to the HyperSpin XML files as base, or would it be a good idea to contact @Ripper006 to see if you could work together with truRIP, and match your databases to their archiving efforts? Especially when it comes to the newer systems, their sets are rapidly becoming the base, and RetroFE supports their .dat files as input for the meta database.

billyc666

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 09:14:15 AM »
at present all the work i did was based on hyperspin xml files  i then created csv files from them to create all the extra info used by several frontends, i just looked at trurip dats and noticed the naming of the games is slightly different so all that would be needed to create the stories for trurip collections would be to match the trurip names to the no-intro names in the csv files and export new story.txt files
im not sure which would be the best way to go with this. but i can check and convert the csvs to new xmls so the other info is present in the meta folder

Sequence

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 03:05:12 AM »
I'm looking for databases that have the numberPlayers added into them. I need:

Atari 2600
Panasonic 3DO
Sega CD
Sega Dreamcast
Sony PlayStation
Sony PlayStation 2
Sony PSP

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 07:59:37 AM »
I'm looking for databases that have the numberPlayers added into them. I need:

Atari 2600
Panasonic 3DO
Sega CD
Sega Dreamcast
Sony PlayStation
Sony PlayStation 2
Sony PSP

Most of this type of work is manual work, and requires a community to get it all done. It's also closely linked to which game sets you use as a base; HyperSpin for instance makes its own selection (and naming scheme) apart from actual game set releases. I think it would be wise to coordinate such efforts with the truRIP group, especially when it comes to more recent systems. RetroFE already supports their superDAT format, and I'll see if I can directly support their future releases as well. It would make life so much easier for users. :)

billyc666

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 09:16:28 AM »
if your using hyperspin sets you can use the xml files from here https://github.com/billyc999/Game-database-info  you may need to change the header