Author Topic: RetroFE website  (Read 9865 times)

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
RetroFE website
« on: February 04, 2018, 06:30:11 PM »
As noticed by many people: the current RetroFE website isn't exactly a thing of beauty. Main reason for that is that I'm truly not a very artistic person (except perhaps when it comes to playing music), so building a good looking website is not my thing. I would really like for one or two people to volunteer revamping the website into something we can all be proud of.

The current website runs on WordPress, but that can easily be changed to something else.

Please let me know if you think you can help out.

dlol

• View Profile
Re: RetroFE website
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 02:27:48 PM »
Hi Pieter,

I have some experience working with Wordpress, maybe I can help you out with the website if no one has volunteered yet.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 06:37:31 PM »
Hi Pieter,

I have some experience working with Wordpress, maybe I can help you out with the website if no one has volunteered yet.

I’d love some help. Designing websites really isn’t my thing.

dlol

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 08:23:10 PM »
Great.

I'll  work on it once I have some free time. Is there any  future content planned beyond what's already on the website?

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 12:28:26 AM »
Great.

I'll  work on it once I have some free time. Is there any  future content planned beyond what's already on the website?

Not really, just more releases and themes I hope. Really wish we could get more programmers as well.

tengu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 06:45:27 AM »
Hey Pieter

I've worked with dlol in the past, he has experience with Wordpress and I'm a designer and illustrator, so when you gave him the heads up he immediately invited me to get into this. I accepted and now I have a few questions that I'd like you to answer before we do anything:

1. How much freedom do we have?
As in, do you have any restrictions that you would like us to follow? Like, maybe you would like to keep the download links and aboutme separated from the homepage or something like that, would you like to retain anything as it is right now or do you give us permission to come up with new ideas? Of course we would make mockups before we did any actual work and get your answer first to make sure that, even if we get new ideas, you like them.

2. Are we going for a more "serious" or "arcade" tone?
Think of this more like a spectrum and less like a bool. If we go for the "serious" tone, things would look more corp-like and crystal-clear, more monotonous but impossible to go wrong. LibRetro's website tries to achieve that tone. Lakka.tv and retroarch.com are still serious, but with a controlled and healthy dose of fun. Or we could go for the "arcade" tone and I would open my archive of old japanese videogame manuals to do something more fun, but still informative and perfectly functional as a readable design. I wouldn't go too far anyway, dlol is a fan of more serious tones.

and 3. Would you want me to rethink or fix your logo?
That's not really related to the website. I just think that your logo could be better, so if you wish to do something new we can talk about it, but if you want to keep the concept and just get a new vector with some variations and suggestions I could do this very quickly. Or we could scrap this altogether and just keep the website in mind.

Waiting for an answer :)

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 09:59:05 PM »
In all honesty: I don't have much of an opinion on that. My artistic abilities are completely limited to music, so when it comes to graphics and website design I draw a complete blank. Feel free to surprise me with your own imagination. :) As long as all current information has its place, you're free to come up with any design you see fit. It shouldn't be too hard to beat what we've currently got. :) I think a less serious tone would be good though, since we're talking about a gaming hobby here, and I'm certainly open to a new logo.

tengu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 08:21:44 PM »
Hey Pieter, are private messages disabled? I've tried to send you a PM more than once and it never shows on my Sent Messages.  :-X

I've wrote about a couple of things, but mainly what I wanted to ask was, where would you want to discuss this in more detail? We can do it:

1. Via a messenger software, like Telegram or Skype or whichever you feel more comfortable with.
2. Via the forum messages, but then they would need to work.
3. Publicly (?) in forum posts.

The first one is more personal and agile, it would be easier to get your feedback and discuss more detailed things on the run. The second one is easier, I guess, and would allow for wall-of-texts instead of agile discussions. The third one would be good for keeping records for the future, but would allow for public feedback, which would potentially hurt/hinder progress and still wouldn't be nearly as agile as using a messenger software. Which one seems to be the better for you?

Waiting for an answer and sorry for the delay ;D

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 08:26:30 PM »
I just received the email you sent me; I didn't see any private message, but since I receive those quite often as well I'd think that they'd be working. Considering time differences and my busy schedule, the easiest for me would be to use email: just email me at pieter@towel42.nl. It's not like my email address is a secret anyway. :)

FF3D

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 01:11:56 PM »
Hello, I'm new in this forum, I'm brazilian and have knowledge and experience  in Wordpress + a bit of CSS.

I have possibility to make a website for RetroFE for free, for pure passion in retro games?

One of websites than I make.
https://imperiobateriassantos.com.br/

My socialmedia links
https://www.facebook.com/ricardoFF3D Facebook
https://www.instagram.com/AutistaPensante/ Instagram
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ricardo-marketingdigital/ Linkedin
https://twitter.com/AutistaPensante Twitter

FF3D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 10:35:49 PM »
Hi people, are you okay?

Like promise, I'm chase make a new RetroFE website. Is a initial something, but, your opinions and ideas are welcome.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 09:42:42 AM »
Looks good. Do you have a website address we could use to have a look at how it functions?

FF3D

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 09:12:34 PM »
Looks good. Do you have a website address we could use to have a look at how it functions?

Hi, Pieter.
Coming soon I post here an example of application (this image is created in Photoshop)

johnnydement

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2022, 09:33:55 PM »
Seems this topic is quite stalled.

If you're still interested we could work something easy in latest Joomla!, quite more powerful than WordPress and as easy, and not as complicated as Drupal.

For me, is the only real GPL major CMS, as is the only one not having a business behind but a real non-profit. Also, it's not spaghetti code as WordPress ;)

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2022, 10:44:33 PM »
Well, I could certainly use some help in this department. The current website isn’t exactly good nor impressive.