Author Topic: Linux Transfer  (Read 2605 times)

KushielAOC

• View Profile
Linux Transfer
« on: December 30, 2017, 06:22:27 PM »
Now that I've got everything (mostly, when I transferred from Windows/Linux a lot of big files were lost in the shuffle and my backups didn't copy correctly either and now I'm at my download limit for the month, so... Gotta wait until next year :P) up and running the way I like it (Big props to Pieter Hulshoff ) I have a second computer I'd like to set up ( And a Pie2 but that's another day) do I need to reinstall everything again or is there a way to copy all the files I already have to that one? Honestly, if it were windows I'd generalize it and create a Windows Image so I can have a backup when it blows up as well and then I'd be set but I'm new to Linux and I'm still wrapping my head around how it installs everything. I'm on Ubuntu 17.0x right now if that matters.

Because I tend to ramble...
TL;Dr:
Can you just copy and paste a fully set up system in another? Is there any caveats to doing so?

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: Linux Transfer
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 07:53:33 PM »
Is the second computer exactly the same as the first? If not I'd do a fresh install, save the installed package list on your first computer, and load/install it on your 2nd computer. Then simply copy your RetroFE installation to your new computer.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

KushielAOC

• View Profile
Re: Linux Transfer
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 10:15:52 PM »
Thanks, kind of what I thought but I had a doozy of a time after transferring from Windows-Linux (I don't think I'll have half the problems I had before, some of them were just simply file errors because my external Hard Drive is going bad.)

It's not the same, it's actually a bit weaker. I had a couple of "throw away" computers at my old job and I swapped them from the trash. They both had Intel Core-2 Duos though and Ram is cheap as dirt for them. Also have a few SSDs sitting around, making them perfect arcade boxes.