Author Topic: Possible to create a PC/Steam launcher?  (Read 6757 times)

procyon

• View Profile
Possible to create a PC/Steam launcher?
« on: October 19, 2017, 06:44:59 PM »
I've been trying to come up with a way for RetroFE to launch Steam games like Street Fighter IV.  I tried setting it up in the following fashion: My collection is a directory where I collect all of the Shortcuts (*.lnk files) to each steam game, and I add the names of those games to my include.txt file.  For a launcher, I thought it might work if I simply used "start".  In my first attempt, RetroFE couldn't find "start", which makes sense because start is not a file, it's a command terminal instruction.  So I tried creating a start.bat file which just contains "start %1".  That didn't work, however, because unless you're in the directory where the lnk file exists, it just opens a command prompt starting in the target directory instead of launching the file.  Can anyone think of another way to solve this?  Thanks very much.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: Possible to create a PC/Steam launcher?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 06:56:57 AM »
I know it can be done, since there are people who've done it. Unfortunately I'm not one of them (I don't use Steam), so here's to hoping one of them will chip in. :) If not, I'll see if I can set up something similar to figure it out.

JonahUK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 01:36:58 PM »
@procyon

Having issues replying so I have put the content into an image instead for you:

dustind900

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 09:51:23 PM »
See here

BILL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 05:15:08 PM »
I've been trying to come up with a way for RetroFE to launch Steam games like Street Fighter IV.  I tried setting it up in the following fashion: My collection is a directory where I collect all of the Shortcuts (*.lnk files) to each steam game, and I add the names of those games to my include.txt file.  For a launcher, I thought it might work if I simply used "start".  In my first attempt, RetroFE couldn't find "start", which makes sense because start is not a file, it's a command terminal instruction.  So I tried creating a start.bat file which just contains "start %1".  That didn't work, however, because unless you're in the directory where the lnk file exists, it just opens a command prompt starting in the target directory instead of launching the file.  Can anyone think of another way to solve this?  Thanks very much.

The launcher should look like this:
PCGames.conf
Code: [Select]
executable = c:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe
arguments = /C "%ITEM_FILEPATH%" >null

The start.bat with the name of the game should have the following content:
Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition.bat
Code: [Select]
D:
cd "D:\roms\pc\Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition\DiscContentPC\"
"MKKE.exe"

This way works for me.