Author Topic: Configuring various launchers  (Read 2586 times)

StoningtonQB

• View Profile
Configuring various launchers
« on: August 10, 2017, 04:02:32 PM »
Hello again, gents. As I have been building my own massive RetroFE empire over the last few months, there have been a few headaches along the way with regards to launching games on certain systems. I wanted to touch upon a couple of launcher-related topics. The first one pertains to launching PC-based games that use multiple floppy disks. For the Commodore Amiga, what works for me is using WinUAE, configuring each game (I have a very small Amiga library because of this) within the program and saving the configuration of each game to a .uae file. For the launcher I run WinUAE and point to the .uae file in the item arguments instead of pointing to the actual ROM files themselves. That works great for me as all necessary disks are already included in one shot. Now I have had some limited success with Commodore 64 thus far. It seems like I can launch cartridge-based games without a problem with WinVICE, but loading floppy-based games is still a mystery to me. Ditto with Apple II games. If anyone could drop some wisdom on me I would greatly appreciate.

The second thing I wanted to discuss regarding launchers is if there could be a section (or thread) here on the site covering a "how-to" for creating launchers, system by system so that the same questions would not be asked over and over again. While many of these are easy to set up, others are insanely difficult, and some are better than others. I would definitely like to contribute some of my own setups here on the forum. Not just to help the community, but also to keep an online manual of sorts should the process ever need to be repeated in the future. Is this doable? Would it be OK to start posting in the tutorials section for each system that has been successfully configured? This wealth of knowledge is something you could never put into a manual but would be invaluable.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: Configuring various launchers
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 08:19:05 AM »
I think the tutorials section would be a great place for these. Once a few are written I could create a sticky locked thread containing a link to tutorials for all the systems). :)