Author Topic: PC/Windows hyperlist  (Read 4847 times)

cassette

• View Profile
PC/Windows hyperlist
« on: June 23, 2017, 02:30:19 PM »
Does anybody know if such a thing exists? Or a similar file compatible with RetroFE. Looking for "year" and "developer" metadata.

dustind900

• View Profile
Re: PC/Windows hyperlist
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 12:16:24 AM »
I'm sure you could find one. Though I don't think there is an official list. Seems like a PC Hyperlist is kind of subjective...

Agent47

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 01:36:12 AM »
There's no official list as there are just way too many PC games out there and a ton more being released every day. A list isn't realistic to create or maintain due to the size of the library. Everyone pretty much just makes an xml for the games they have, so you'll have to do the same.

Once you get the initial list done adding data for new ones only takes a few seconds. Every time I add a new game to Steam or another client I just go ahead and add the info then.

cassette

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 10:50:47 PM »
Yeah makes some sense that there is not one available, although EmuMovies does have a Windows gameplay videos section so I'm sure something could be done if enough people cared about it. Anyway, I'll just do it manually.

And also, on this vein, do you guys know of other methods to gather metadata? I just realized the <manufacturer> tag on hyperlists don't always address the developer... I'm getting "Conspiracy Entertainment" for Bangai-O on Dreamcast, when it's obviously a Treasure game. I hate this, I don't see why anyone would care at all about who published a game, at least not on the sense of it trumping the developer...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 11:03:14 PM by firewater »

Agent47

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 11:45:18 PM »
GameFAQs and MobyGames are two sites that are good for info that I use. RetroFE supports a developer tag so your best bet would be to use that for the developer and use the manufacturer tag for publisher.

HS only supports the manufacturer tag which was originally contained the developer, but after the old db team disbanded things went to hell in terms of databases. A bunch of bad or plain useless xmls were uploaded to hyperlist (which are the ones included with RFE) and people started using publisher in the manufacturer tag. Myself and 4-5 other people attempted to correct the situation and get things back on track but after working on improving them for awhile we called it quits also for many reasons.

I hate this, I don't see why anyone would care at all about who published a game, at least not on the sense of it trumping the developer...

This is kinda funny because I remember seeing a post recently on the HS forum where someone said the exact opposite. They basically said "who the hell cares about the developer, I want to see the publisher in the manufacturer tag" and went about changing them lol. So I guess it's just a matter of preference but luckily RetroFE supports both tags so no compromise is needed and you can have both.

cassette

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 01:15:44 AM »
Yeah those sites are good. There's a new one coming out called Glitchwave which is still on beta access but the way its shaping up I think it'll be the best some years down the road.

This is kinda funny because I remember seeing a post recently on the HS forum where someone said the exact opposite. They basically said "who the hell cares about the developer, I want to see the publisher in the manufacturer tag" and went about changing them lol. So I guess it's just a matter of preference but luckily RetroFE supports both tags so no compromise is needed and you can have both.

Oh my god lol, people are people... and you mean the <manufacturer> tag has either developer and publisher at random? Wouldn't surprise me if it's a chaos like that cause I'm now modifying the arcade.xml as I dislike all the (Asia) kind of metadata on the name, and it's just so inconsistent there's really no standard, for example there's "(World set 1)" and "(World, set 1)" which really pisses me off lol... aaaah well, there's joy in making progress little by little in our setups regardless, so all this stuff just gives me more to work on in a good way.

Agent47

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 02:11:43 AM »
Yeah, whether the dev or pub is used in the manufacturer tag is going to vary from xml to xml (and probably even vary from game to game given the quality of some lists) in regards to the xmls taken directly from hyperlist, HS forum, or HS download section.

The MAME xmls Pieter generates result from parsing the MAME binary -listxml output so any inconsistencies in that data would be from there.