Author Topic: Possible to use reloadableScrollingText to display game text?  (Read 6127 times)

tonesmalone

• View Profile
Possible to use reloadableScrollingText to display game text?
« on: December 23, 2016, 08:42:01 AM »
Hi all,

Is it possible to use the layout scrolling text facility to display the game name from the database?  I see that the wiki only mentions that scrolling text can be used to pull from a text file.

Ideally, I'd like to replace the reloadableText used for the game name tag in a layout to reloadableScrollingText so that the text scrolls horizontally when the game name has too many characters for the space.  Replacing the tag doesn't show any text - is what I'm after possible without generating thousands of text files?

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: Possible to use reloadableScrollingText to display game text?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 10:05:46 AM »
Not at the moment, but it sounds like a good feature to add. I'll put it on my list. :)

tonesmalone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 10:07:41 AM »
Fantastic - cheers dude.

Might be worth adding for all text that comes from the database.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 10:11:32 AM »
No worries; if I add it for the database fields I'll add it for all database fields. :)

tonesmalone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 10:12:23 AM »
No worries; if I add it for the database fields I'll add it for all database fields. :)

Lovely, can't wait. Would finish my theme off nicely :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drmechxico

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 08:48:04 PM »
I actually saw some guys mention that some XML lists have story info within them. So I wondered why we would use story files if we could just load the story text straight from the XML as realoadable text.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 08:52:42 PM »
I'm planning to support it in the future, but a larger database (stories are generally larger than all the other info combined) will not improve the speed of RetroFE.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

hundergrn07

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 07:31:43 AM »
I think ES had the same issue with database bloat before it disappeared. Loading several systems with full lists slowed it down to a crawl. Before they did, they changed to using the XML files and it helped quite a bit but it did slow down little when using gamelist xmls with descriptions implemented into a layout.

The scraper no longer works but I do have a hand full that have a full descriptions if you need help fleshing out the story files.

KMetalMind

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 08:55:00 AM »
Hi all,

Is it possible to use the layout scrolling text facility to display the game name from the database?  I see that the wiki only mentions that scrolling text can be used to pull from a text file.

Ideally, I'd like to replace the reloadableText used for the game name tag in a layout to reloadableScrollingText so that the text scrolls horizontally when the game name has too many characters for the space.  Replacing the tag doesn't show any text - is what I'm after possible without generating thousands of text files?

Wow, nice suggestion! I certainly would use it on my build  ;D

I'm planning to support it in the future, but a larger database (stories are generally larger than all the other info combined) will not improve the speed of RetroFE.

Is retroFE currently storing all the metadata even if you donĀ“t own the game while navigating? It may make the loading slower, but maybe using only the metadata of the found games could improve the overall speed?  :o

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 11:03:57 AM »
Scraping xml takes more time than loading a database, so RetroFE stores all information in meta.db. I may consider loading on the fly, though MAME remains a huge one to load.