Author Topic: Audio normalization  (Read 5344 times)

cassette

• View Profile
Audio normalization
« on: January 29, 2017, 07:27:11 AM »
Any interest on this? So what happens with the gameplay videos I've got is that some are very loud, while others aren't, which is really annoying because sometimes it's quite a big difference changing from one game to another. If I have the sound of my computer at a particular level, it's because I want stuff to output that amount of sound, so it's too bad some games feel like someone picked up the TV remote and started messing with me. I know video players have this option, so maybe it could be applied.

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: Audio normalization
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 07:37:31 AM »
An equalizer functionality? Interesting, but not really my area of expertise. I'll put it on the list though.

cassette

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 07:55:03 AM »
Cool!! I imagine it'd be pretty hard to do, so maybe someday.

bodbod

• View Profile
    • Don't be a sheep, Do It Yourself !
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 03:36:16 PM »
Hi,

This functionality would be good, I agree with firewater.
Perhaps one way to manage it is to have a video file scanner listing the whole video path sets and then run a one time process with same normalization config for all of them rather than doing live audio corrections which may crunch the processor.

Thanks

PinealServo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 05:41:46 AM »
It looks like gstreamer has an audio level monitoring plugin that could be used to gather the information needed to do normalization.  We could store the information gathered about each video in the metadata database as it's played, and apply a volume adjustment to those that we have metadata for.  It might not be a perfect solution, but it ought to resolve large differences in volume between videos and other audio we might play in the future.

The level plugin: https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-good-plugins/html/gst-plugins-good-plugins-level.html

Mark Norville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 11:53:23 AM »
One way of doing it

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/ and then find acc gain, rename the aac gain to that of mp3 gain and then you can set a volume, I would recommend 95%

However, do small amounts at a time.

Regards

Mark

JonahUK

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 12:12:36 PM »
If this is added, could you make it optional via a switch in settings.conf or similar?
Although, this can be done automatically if you use Windows by using the Loudness Equalization option in the Speaker control panel under Enhancements.
Please note that this may be card specific so may not be available on your system.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 12:20:33 PM by JonahUK »