Author Topic: RetroArch Launcher  (Read 10193 times)

Mark Norville

• View Profile
RetroArch Launcher
« on: May 02, 2017, 01:50:07 PM »
If like me, you wish to use RetroArch instead of MAME for launching games, I tried looking through the forum and could not really find anything conclusive on how to do so. However, I now have the Nintendo NES working, so once I get more systems added then I shall add to this. Please note that you have to have the cores installed to make things work.

PLEASE NOTE : I AM USING WINDOWS ONLY AND CANNOT COMMENT REGARDING LINUX

Nintendo Entertainment System (Text in red means that you might need to change to your file directory)
---------------------------------
executable = E:\Emulators\RetroArch\retroarch.exe
arguments = retroarch -L E:\Emulators\RetroArch\cores\nestopia_libretro.dll "%ITEM_FILEPATH%"

I hope this helps someone, I shall add to this slowly as I get bored after a while and then work on other things.

Infact saying that the chances are that all systems will work, as long as you just change the nestopia_libretro.dll to suit whatever emulator you need such as snes_libretro.dll for example

Regards

Mark
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 02:00:31 PM by Mark Norville »

tonesmalone

• View Profile
Re: RetroArch Launcher
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 02:43:05 PM »
If like me, you wish to use RetroArch instead of MAME for launching games, I tried looking through the forum and could not really find anything conclusive on how to do so. However, I now have the Nintendo NES working, so once I get more systems added then I shall add to this. Please note that you have to have the cores installed to make things work.

PLEASE NOTE : I AM USING WINDOWS ONLY AND CANNOT COMMENT REGARDING LINUX

Nintendo Entertainment System (Text in red means that you might need to change to your file directory)
---------------------------------
executable = E:\Emulators\RetroArch\retroarch.exe
arguments = retroarch -L E:\Emulators\RetroArch\cores\nestopia_libretro.dll "%ITEM_FILEPATH%"

I hope this helps someone, I shall add to this slowly as I get bored after a while and then work on other things.

Infact saying that the chances are that all systems will work, as long as you just change the nestopia_libretro.dll to suit whatever emulator you need such as snes_libretro.dll for example

Regards

Mark

RocketLauncher is a... launcher. It also has support for retroarch as an emulator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mark Norville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 02:50:07 PM »
I use rocketlauncher for another program, but that is idiot proof, this you have to be Einstein for, so people such as myself who are new to RetroFE might not know how to set that up. All what I have seen is MAME talked about.

JonahUK

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 11:07:13 PM »
retroarch is not need as an argument :)

arguments = -L E:\Emulators\RetroArch\cores\nestopia_libretro.dll "%ITEM_FILEPATH%"

I use Retroarch for some stuff but your argument looks different to mine, mainly the location of ITEM_FILEPATH?

executable = z:\emulators\retroarch\retroarch.exe
arguments = "%ITEM_FILEPATH%" -L "z:\emulators\retroarch\cores\fb_alpha_cps1_libretro.dll"

Currently transferring everything into rocketlauncher though so I can use a universal launcher.conf
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 11:14:49 PM by JonahUK »

Mark Norville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 01:05:29 AM »
I just tried the arguments, that was on the Wiki page for arch. I did a search here on how to get arch to work, but was very little info. At the moment I have my first system almost up and running, but all comes down to trial and error, you edit one file, but then you have to edit another, and another.

Sadly this is not as user-friendly, as some, it is more aimed at the higher food chain, than people who got puters for Christmas. The closest that I get to Linux, is Linus, my X key is worn out now, why p tube comes in handy.

If it was not for two skins, then I would not even have tried this really, it reasonably is not cab friendly, most of the skins are more for HTPC in my eyes, I am still patiently waiting for one lovely mod, to turn one skin into 4:3 no names mentioned, but you know whom you are ;)

Anyway, this was aimed at the novice, so I do apologize if the arguments, was not up to spec. Once I get more accustomed with the software, then I shall try to do better.

Regards

Mark

JonahUK

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 02:31:18 AM »
most of the skins are more for HTPC in my eyes, I am still patiently waiting for one lovely mod, to turn one skin into 4:3

Which skin?
I do agree skins are mainly 16:9 and tend to be htpc based which is a shame. They should cater for 4:3 at least.
Converting a 16:9 skin isn't really that hard, it's just time consuming.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 02:33:17 AM by JonahUK »

Mark Norville

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 02:40:27 AM »
This bad boy http://retrofe.nl/SMF/index.php?topic=13.0

I am shocked that it was for widescreen first, especially when it was originally a 4:3 cabinet design.

I fell in love with this when I first saw it on youtube, I think I saw it in real life as well, or something similar.

I usually like bells and whistles, but I have been preferring less is more in my old age.

Regards

Mark

JonahUK

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 02:47:35 AM »
This bad boy http://retrofe.nl/SMF/index.php?topic=13.0

I am shocked that it was for widescreen first, especially when it was originally a 4:3 cabinet design.

I fell in love with this when I first saw it on youtube, I think I saw it in real life as well, or something similar.

I usually like bells and whistles, but I have been preferring less is more in my old age.

Regards

Mark

There was a 4x3 version originally posted on the old site: http://www.retrofe.com/forum/index.php?topic=425.0
File is still active: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By6HlslGsvfhREluemFnc3NGazQ/edit

You may be able to "frankenstein" it to match the final 16:9 version as I don't know exactly where ryuji got with it.

Mark Norville

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 03:04:00 AM »
Yeah, I did ask a while back, but he said that the 4:3 is not almost ready properly. Life apparently, when he should be busy skinning lol

I just love this skin though, the 60 in 1 cabinet, all this rubbish about oh namco made this in 1975 and it was designed by, it does not interest me so much.

It is just too geeky, and although I don't really play games any more, not in the sense that I did, but I want to collect because I can, one game I completed thanks to infinite credits R-Type.

Always so close but not enough 10'ps to feed it. I was disappointed that it was shorter than expected.

One good thing about an HTPC though, compared to a dedicated arcade machine, you do not want the rubbish games, space is more limited.

Anyway I am waffling, but 3am and can't sleep lol

dustind900

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 03:38:46 AM »
RetroArch can have a universal launcher for all systems.

RetroArch.conf
Code: [Select]
executable = M:\Emulators\RetroArch\retroarch.exe
arguments = "%ITEM_FILEPATH%" -L "cores\%ITEM_COLLECTION_NAME%.dll" --appendconfig "config\%ITEM_COLLECTION_NAME%.cfg|config\%ITEM_COLLECTION_NAME%\%ITEM_NAME%.cfg"

Short Tutorial:
  • Download a fresh copy of RetroArch
  • Open RetroAch, don't load any cores yet, and set ALL global config options
  • Exit RetroArch
  • Open your RetroArch Folder and the open "retroarch.cfg" with any text editor
  • Set "config_save_on_exit" to "false"
  • Save "retroarch.cfg" and close it
  • Open RetroArch again download core of choice and load it, load a game too, set ALL core specific options
  • Go to "Quick Menu" and click "Save Core Override"
  • If you have a game with specific options load it, set ALL game specific options
  • Go to "Quick Menu" and click "Save Game Override"
  • Repeat steps 9 & 10 for additional games
  • Exit RetroArch
  • Open your RetroArch folder again and navigate to your cores folder
  • Inside you should have corename.dll rename the core dll to match your collection name
  • Now navigate to your config folder. Inside there will be a folder named after the core in question. Rename it to match your collection name
  • Navigate inside that folder and rename corename.cfg to match your collection name
  • Move that file into the base config dir and leave the game configs where they are at
  • Done. Repeat steps 7 through 17 for new collections
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 03:42:01 AM by dustind900 »

JonahUK

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 04:02:03 AM »
Easier in rocketlauncher :)

dustind900

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 04:06:06 AM »
Easier in rocketlauncher :)

I agree to disagree.  ;)