Author Topic: Using menu.txt  (Read 9722 times)

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: Using menu.txt
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 06:57:28 AM »
Please ignore my previous reply (deleted); I wasn't entirely awake yet. :)

The problem appears two-fold:
1. Your rom name does not match the name in the XML file, so RetroFE cannot pull in the correct information.
2. RetroFE appears to ignore the bracket settings when it cannot pull in the correct information.

That last one is for me to look into. With regards to the first one: either change the meta XML, rename the ROM, or download a matching rom set (Hyperspin 1.0 set). That last one's probably the quickest way to get a matching set.

Edit: I just checked 1, and the replacement code is indeed only in the meta database info pull; there's a todo comment left there by Emb indicating that it should be placed in other places as well for exactly the above problem. Guess I'll fix that soon. :)
Still, it's wise to get a matching rom set so you can also use all the other information available in the meta XML file.

Edit: I have a local fix for 2; I'll release it after some more testing.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:19:05 AM by Pieter Hulshoff »

StoningtonQB

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 03:26:12 PM »
Ther location of the XML file was the key for me. Also to save time renaming all files in the XML I downloaded Hyperspin collections as suggested.

Since then I have put together quite a few collections, mostly converted from Hyperspin collections, but with 3D box art added whenever possible as well as changes to the XML.

I would like to upload these collections someplace because they are RetroFE and not Hyperspin, for others to use and test. For example, in my Super Nintendo collection, surely there must be a video or two that does not play when you hover over that particular game. So it would be nice to get some feedback regarding what works and what doesn't. So far I have put together:

Mame
Atari 2600
Atari 5200
Atari 7800
Nintendo
Famicom Disk System
Super Nintendo
ColecoVision
Intellivision
PC Engine
TurboGrafx-16
Sega SG-1000
Sega Master System
Sega Genesis

These include full ROM sets, videos, logos, box art (mostly 3D), emulators, cartridge art (on some), device pictures, and story and info.txt for Aeon Nox.

All I need is a place to host. Would be OK for this?

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 03:53:26 PM »
While I appreciate the offer, I cannot allow this here. Distributing the roms is illegal under copyright law in most countries, and unless you created the art you'll probably land yourself into trouble with the people that created it (possibly HyperSpin and EmuMovies, in which case they'll probably end your membership and access to their FTP sites).

The story files would certainly be welcome; I can host them from the RetroFE server along with some other sets I've got complete. For the art you should consider distributing the sets via the groups that created them. As an example, I have complete art sets (including story files) for multiple systems available via the EmuMovies FTP site, since that's where most of the files originated from. You could even upload them there for me to take a look at; I have scripts available to test if system art is complete or not.

StoningtonQB

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2017, 04:21:19 PM »
How about I strip the ROMs out of the collections? Or possibly a text file of the ROM collections? As far as the art goes I would give full credit?
Also I need to clarify, story.txt only for the main menu. I have stories for the games but those I just got from your zip file so I am sure you would not be interested in that.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:23:22 PM by StoningtonQB »

StoningtonQB

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2017, 04:25:09 PM »
Hmm I should probably mention that I have never connected to this FTP site. Everything I have cobbled together have been from random corners of the Internet without creating any accounts. Also I do not want any money or recognition for this. This is mainly to get my own house in order, and if it helps others then great.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:29:33 PM by StoningtonQB »

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2017, 05:34:01 PM »
You can certainly put the material on a Google Drive or MEGA account. I'd advise against uploading the roms though. 😀

My MAME set is also available on a MEGA account, and that works quite well.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk