Author Topic: Playlist collection/menu  (Read 3022 times)

Agent47

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Playlist collection/menu
« on: February 19, 2017, 11:08:18 PM »
I didn't see any information related to what I'm about to propose but if this functionality already exists feel free to point and laugh at me :D

One of the things I think would be a good addition is a collection/menu for the playlists. It would be similar to any other menu where you could see all the playlists listed (with images for each). Having multiple playlists is great but without a menu for them having a bunch of playlists is a bit messy to navigate by just using the next/previous buttons. Genre playlists or something similar isn't really feasible at this point because having to scroll through 1 by 1 defeats the main purpose of having them, to be able to find a group of games quickly.

Again, apologies if this has already been implemented or requested. Thanks!

Pieter Hulshoff

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Towel 42
Re: Playlist collection/menu
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 05:46:47 AM »
If you want playlist entries in a menu, the question is: which artwork should be used?

Have you considered using sub collections in stead? Just create a collection for a playlist, add the system_artwork, and copy the playlist you use now to a .sub file.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Agent47

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Playlist collection/menu
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 06:14:06 PM »
I have thought about using sub collections and have suggested that to others that asked me about the lack of a playlist menu. The only downside to that is if you were to use it for a decent number of playlists that can amount to a ton of collections. If you were to use playlists by genres for example, you could easily have 20+ playlists/collections per system. Doing that for a good amount of systems would result in hundreds of collections.

The media issue is where it starts to get complicated. I would be perfectly happy with having a global directory for playlist logos in the collections/_common directory. However, I'm sure some people would want different logos per collection. Another potential speed bump would be the layout of the playlist menu. If it were to use the top collection menu similar to subcollections the lack of video or other layout elements like story or info wouldn't look great, such as the Aeon Nox theme. So at that point it would almost require it's own layout or even a global playlist collection (I told you it would get complicated ;)).

That's just what I've thought about in regards to this potential feature, and I'm open to what others may think about the implementation.